Scratches in a glass tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Frankie

RF Premium Member
Hello everyone,
Well I moved to Charleston SC and have pulled the 120 out of storage ready to start over again.
Once I got the tank home I washed it and found a long scratch on the front glass pane. Must have happened during the move.
I would just go and buy a new one but this tanks drilled for the closed loop and has a coast to coast overflow I built into it. I really dont want to go through all that again.
If anyone has ideas on how to get it out im all ears! (eyes that is. lol).
The scratch is kinda deep but not so bad im giving up hope.
Hopeing for some good input here, thanks! Frankie.

Frankie - from what I've found, scratches on glass are pretty permenant, unless they are very fine. Here are a couple of short threads for you:

This one talks about a glass scratch kit fragman was trying out on a 20 year old cube tank: Scratched Glass Help

Here is more info on what was found after the cube tank was done: Scratch Glass

NaH2O said:
Frankie - from what I've found, scratches on glass are pretty permenant, unless they are very fine. Here are a couple of short threads for you:

This one talks about a glass scratch kit fragman was trying out on a 20 year old cube tank: Scratched Glass Help

Here is more info on what was found after the cube tank was done: Scratch Glass
Thanks for the fast reply Nikki. Looks as if im going to be building a new tank. (Did someone say go bigger this time?)LOL well it is christmas!
I have a glass guy coming over on sat. to take a look so i'll let you all know what happens.
If I do go for a new tank i'll go acrylic this time just because the coast to coast will be more permanent and i'll have an easier time drilling it.

Well I like Big t's idea so much i went and got a $ on the glass. $90.95 +tax.
Sounds good to me and gives me a chance to do a few things I had in mind with the front pane off. Question is, how easy is it to remove? I feel confedent i can put a new one back on with no trouble, but whats the best way to remove it?
I'll be greatful for any input you all have to offer.

im also curious as to a windshield repair person. i have seen them do pretty cool
scratch removal on windshields.....?

frankie i was actually under the impression that they used some sort of epoxy to fill the scratch. when it was buffed out the distortion wasnt too noticable.

Just cut it out, you can use a razor blade or utility knife [fresh ones], cut through the radius in the silicone, remove glass, toke new razor blade [ no nicks so as not to scratch glass] and scrape the remaining silicone off. When you put the new glass on tape the glass with strips of masking tape say every 12". I would clean the glass, especially the old glass of the film of silicone left say with acetone or denatured alochol. I would run a strip of masking tape down each pane of glass back from the edge say 1/2" before setting the front glass back on, that way you can lay your silicone in the corner and wet your finger and press the silicone in as you radius it and try to make the edge next to the tape as thick as the tape, that way before the silicone sets[which it well sim over fast] pull the tape and you well have a nice straight line for a edge of the bead of silicone.

FFrankie I see some more post while I was making the last one. I had a oceanic glass tank and took it down to the glass place here in town as they have a really good rep. and the man said there was no way of taking out the scratch and getting the glass polished again. Filling with epoxy is right as for winshields, but I think the epoxy would turn hazy and probably fall out, especially if you have MH lights since epoxy doesn't do well un uv lighting. These windshield repairs only last so long, that is why it is cheap to have done.

Thanks for all the attention everyone.
Sryder I thought about that too after i read a thread about a person who used crazy glue to fill the scratches. But i dont want to go that way. I like the idea of just replacing the glass and having it perfect.
Thanks for the info fishermann, i'll be sure to keep all that in mind when im knee deep. Good idea on useing tape to keep the line clean.
Im thinking of making a jig clamp to hold it on even. I'll use tape to hold it from sliping while i get the clamp on.
I think the hard parts going to be getting the frame off the top and bottom.

frankie that would be a good one for the diy column. get some pics as you progress it would be cool to see it done..

happy new year everyone!
ok, i removed the glass front from the tank with out breaking anything!
I ordered a new top frame without the center brace and im hunting the new glass front atm.
I wanted to get opinions about the glass kind. I can get the starphire glass and want to know if theres a big difference or what?
should i go tempered? or just replace it with what was there, a piece of un tempered glass.
Ill get some pic's today of what ive done so far. LOL my wife thinks im nuts.
She offered to buy a new tank for christmas but then id have to drill and stuff again and im not into it.
so i told her to wait. I'll need rock soon!

cool frankie, im glad to see you are making progress. cant wait till you get that puppy up and running again. steve

Woohoo! Frankie, I'd go with the starphire if you can get it. As for tempered or untempered...I don't know :confused:.

FFrankie sounds like you've already decided to change the glass.
FYI, I'm in the auto reconditioning business and came across this product a few years ago. I use it to repair scratches in auto glass. It works great once you get the hang of it. I've never used it on an aquarium, but will if/when I ever get a scratch. They usually have a local glass company they do business with.

This feathering process greatly reduces any distortion other methods may cause.
I've never had a customer complain about distortion.

Removing a glass panel

I know you already acomplished this but I figured I would make a comment here for any future readers of this thread as I have completely disassembled and reasembled my 250 gallon tank and learned a little along the way...

I found that when cutting out panes, patience is your best friend, as is always the case when working with glass. I found the best tool to use after removing the bulk of the silicone is a razor blade that would be found in the old fashioned style razors. These blades are double edged and not much thicker than a piece of paper. Most articles on this subject just say "razor blade" without specifying this particular type of blade even though I found that the use of this type of blade made all the difference. Extreme care should obviously be used when working with these blades as they are "pardon me" as sharp as a razor. I used a pair of vise grips to hold them when cutting and in my opinion these blades should never be held with bare hands whilst cutting even light materials.

Anyway, good luck!

-Dave

Cool Dave, i wish i knew that about th blades since i found the thicker blades to be hard to use.
Id' really like to see your tank and how it came out. I will be posting pic's soon of mine.

Back