Scratches in my acrylic tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The best way depends on the scratches. How deep, how severe.... If they are light scratches you can use Novus products and some elbow grease... If the are pretty deep scratches you have to get more agressive and sand the scratches out back to smooth and a polish. With power tools or without :)

North to South scratches are sanded East to West until you can no longer see the scratch. Reverse for East to West scratches. I usually do the whole tank panel to maintain a even finish. If you put a bunch of ripples in your finish it will be very difficult to keep clean. It is not a "quick job", Doing the job correctly, up, down and the back and forth each time you sand and change grit. then you finish it off wit a Novus 2 polish and wahlah....

Honestly, before you do anything to fix it. I'd put water in it and see how visible they are. I have an old Acrylic Hex, and its scratched up pretty bad, but when its filled you can barely see any of the scratches.

It's really a PITA to clean up a scratched acrylic tank, as others have already told you, it's not a quick job.

Another thing to consider is how thick is the Acrylic? Can it be safely sanded to remove the scratches. As mentioned in the last post most will not be noticed when the tank is full. A good hand buffing with some Novus 2 product will get rid of A LOT of scratches and it should only take a couple of hours, Follow the directions on the bottle. Make sure your tank is clean and free of sand or you will make more scratches than you remove.

I have all 3 Novus products. With my 180G that has 90% fine scratches and 8% Nicks and Deep Scratches (other 2% salt & calcium buildup) I have used Novus 3 Heavy Scratch Remover with a 6" Orbital. It was a little too intense even for the deeper scratches. The Novus 2 Fine scratch Remover is a blessing! I use Novus 1 as the end product. Water will fill in most smaller scratches.

Novus products are overpriced and dont work well. Micromesh is the best thing since sliced bread. Dont buy the lame kits, micro surface will sell you individual sheets for much less and you can get what you need and not what you dont. Plain old turtle wax rubbing compound and a buffer wheel will polish acrylic back to factory clarity for under $5 for a whole can of the paste. Micromesh 6K is great for interior repairs of a operating tank, something everyone with an acrylic tank should have lying around.

Sorry to thread jack here SRWoodCock.... DonW, I am using the Novus products right now because they are available at the LFS. I would have to order Micromesh if I am not happy with the end result of the Novus product.

Sorry to thread jack here SRWoodCock.... DonW, I am using the Novus products right now because they are available at the LFS. I would have to order Micromesh if I am not happy with the end result of the Novus product.

Its no big deal your just paying way to much and working way to hard. Novus gets the job done but you will grow old before its finished properly. :)

Don

Thanks guys. So if I have this right. #1 fill the tank and see if there is anything that really bothers me. #2 Make sure all sand and calcium deposits are out. #3 Micromesh the rough stuff. #4 turtle wax the rest.

Would you put your micro mesh on an orbital sander or work it by hand?

Would you turle wax by hand or use a buffer / orbital ?

I really appreciate the advice.

from what I have seen Micromesh is handwork only. I use a 6" orbital to apply my compound (Novus) with the orbitals foam pad. then use the buffing/polishing pad after I clean off the dried up compound with a lint free towel.

Back