Sea apple yes or no?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

xxkenny90xx

My wife and I just saw a sea apple for the first time and we were blown away. I just read online that they are "poisonous if stressed or dying" and for the "expert aquarist only". We really wanna go back and buy it but since I (and the lfs) don't know much about it at all I thought I'd ask if any of you have any experience/opinions on them? Thanks

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2

I had one for like 2 weeks.i gave it back to Los as the thought of it releasing toxins stressed me out. But there very cool.

thanks for the input toolz, that's one no vote, anybody else?

You know, Ive seen one in an LFS tank for many years with no problems. If your water parameters stay stable and you dont have fish that are going to pick on it you should be fine. Just research the animals you are putting in the tank and make sure they are compatable and that includes coral. And wait until your system is matured and stable before getting it.

Thanks Ipisces, I'll take that as a yes vote, my only question for you is why haven't you bought the one at the lfs yet?

Well, it was in his display tank a while back. I think it got moved out though and might be for sale. I dont recall seeing it lately. And they don't really appeal to me. They are pretty, but not really interested in having one.

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm going to hold off on this one, but if I ever come across a purple one I know I won't be able to resist. I'd really like to get into more of the weird/unusual creatures like this

During my last foray in the hobby I had a slightly greenish yellow one with pink coloration, was pretty cool to watch him sift through the water and fold up his umm tongues?

That should cool, I really like all the unique colors they have. How long did you have it? I take it you never had an issue with it poisoning your tank?

About 2 years before my nephew decided that my LTA (who was like a foot across at the time) wanted to eat a couple of screws and that the corner of the tank needed to be adjusted with a hammer.

I don't speak to my sister anymore for other reasons and that can be hard this time of year, but remembering this reminds me that its probably for the best.

kenny,

no vote for me.

anything that has a potential to emit poisons in the tank is NOT going in my tank...not taking the risk..so this also applies to cowfish :)

I personally would not take the risk. Too much can already go wrong with a reef tank.

That being said one of our LFS mentioned to me that the Australian ones seem to be hardier and less prone to release their toxins then their Indonesian or Pacific island brethren.

my vote is no. why take the risk of crashing your whole system. they are pretty cool and very colorful.

Very Pretty, but they make me nervous....I had a cuc for awhile and watched it like a hawk. It was dormant for a day and I yanked it. It is now in my GF tank and very happy

Back