Sea hare question!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

boosted306

I put a sea hare in my semi-reef tank to handle an algae problem that I have been having and this guys craps a lot! I clean my tank weekly and did this last night. Anyway, here is my question, do I need to take care of his fecal matter daily, every few days, or weekly? I cleaned the tank yesterday and where he was eating algae over the night there is a trail of fecal matter. It buries itself under the sand in the day and just has its rectum out and there is a gathering pile.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

DSC_0026.jpg

My biggest piece of advice is make sure he's fed - if he isn't he starves very easily and when they die they become toxic to the environment (meaning, take it out!!!) But in the past on these forums, I've seen "community" sea hares which get moved out when the algae is gone to another deserving tank.

I never did much with my sea hare and let him munch and poop with no ill effects to my tank - it ended up in my skimmer with some stirring...

I've had 2 in the pass and never had luck with them. They both got killed by the Seio pumps LOL minced them. Their death on that 2 occasions never poisoned my tank and I had half SPS and LPS at that time.

thanks guys! I was just pondering what ill effects could present themselves with the amount this guy poops. I was amazed at how quickly he removed the algae. It took him less than a day. I was so impressed. I recommend them to anyone for taking care of algae.

I had 2 of them and they both got stuck on in the pumps too.. I think thats the only thing that I had a problem with when I had them. I actually love sea hares esp the ones with bright blue spots on them.. theyre great algae bulldosers

yeah i had a teal spotted hare once upon a time and man he cleaned up the tank alot then one day i just never saw him sorta like how i never see my snowflake eel. but no ill effect from his death or whatever happened to him lol

Sounds like you need more flow in your tank if the poo is just sitting there. The whole poisoning sea hare thing is just a myth. They just die like any other animal. Just make sure you pull it out if it dies....and watch your powerheads.

Back