Sea hare

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blk822822

It's only money, RIGHT?
Where"s the cheapest place to get a sea hair???? I have been trying the new Fauna Marin Ultra algae X to rid my tank of Hair algae and bryopsis. I had the bryopsis almost under control by plucking it out, but then the hair algae started to grow. I found the source of nutrients in my refuge. The Chateo got so dense that it was full of detris and crud. The Ultra Algae X seems to have made the algae grow faster and after spending $60 on the bottle I'm not happy that it didn't even put a dent in the algae. I even did the short light cycle(which caused my RBTA to climb to the top of the rock looking for light.) So after finding the chateo problem and removing it I need to do some water changes and get something to eat this stuff. Help who has them in stock.....?

Don't know what all macros u have in ur tank but when i had a hair algae problem I got a longspine urchin and the algae was gone within a week. They are like 12 bucks and do wonders with hair algae mine was about 2 inches long.

tacoma petco ive seen blue dot sea hares and pencil urchins cheap or contact oceans by design and ask them. some one local should have them.

Better to add more emerald crabs. Urchins that i had stayed on the glass or sand and they'll chew/etch up acrylic with their gnawing. The rabbits had a poor life span and would crawl to koralla heads to get blended up. Lettuce nudie always found their way to the overflow and die in the sump trays. Only the emerald crabs and red hermits made a positive dent in the algae battle since they're nimble in the tight coral spaces where the algae likes to spread.

My 2 cents

Caution must be used when considering a Sea Hair. Even if you don't get the poisonous kind, any slug of their size that gets lodged in the rock-work or overflow/sump, as aquanaut stated, and dies off will cause pollution issues and more algae growth, exactly what you don't want. Try Blue Tuxedo Urchins (less bulldozing of rock and coral) and/or Astrea Snails. Those two work wonders.

I picked up one of the "ugly" therefore less toxic sea hares at Denny's World. I also went out and got a Lawnmower Blenny. LOVE my Blenny just because I can see him do the job. No hair algae for me. I started a post on this topic called Sea Hare vs Blenny ( I think) that others chimmed in. Sea Hare may be doing the job as well, getting the stuff on the rocks that the Blenny can't reach, but I never see it. I now feed out some seaweed/algae to make sure those guys have something to eat.

Funny thing is I have red leg hermits , lawnmower blenny, Sail fin tang , foxface and a sea hair now. I have a torch coral my two clowns host and that's where the algae is, under the torch, and around it. My clowns chase everything away. I moved the torch and one of my clowns went to the RBTA I have ,so I put it back and it went back to the torch. I pulled some rock out today and scrubbed it. Doing a water change tomorrow and then putting my gfo back on line and the chateo back in the fuge. The Faun Marin Ultra Algae X didn't do anything.

O I got a large sea hare from Petco (about 3.5" long) for 12.99 . I put it on the algae and it didn't stay there the clowns started batting there tails at it .

Last edited:
Sea Hare didn't last today I found it dead lying next to a mini maxi anemone..........was just starting to put out some ink or black stuff so it got pulled and flushed. He was a cool slug. I guess I'll just have to take the tank apart and scrub the rock. Part of the hobby I guess....

Back