Seachem ParaGuard in QT

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Cajun Reefer

I just received an online order of fishes from Saltwaterfish.com which I am extremely happy with thus far (first online live order ever). I currently have all of the fishes in a 55 gallon quarantine tank. I am thinking about keeping them in there for about 2 weeks with Seachem ParaGuard to treat any possible parasites, fungal, or bacterial problems.

Does that sound long enough assuming no additional signs surface? I know I should have QT the fishes separately but it's too late now.

According to ParaGuard's directions, I am to use 1 capful to every 10 gallons (5 capfuls=50 gallons), and I am to repeat daily as long as the fishes show no stress. So I'm assuming I would put 5 capfuls in every day for the 2 weeks unless the fishes react negatively, correct? I also plan on doing a 25% water change with Seachem Marine Salt every other day to keep up with the water quality. I am not running any carbon, only a Marineland Emperor 400 with Biowheels to help with any ammonia, etc. Also, I have some Seachem Purigen which should be coming in soon that I plan on running in the above filter.

Are there any concerns with using Seachem's ParaGuard with any of the following fishes:

2- Percula clownfish
2- Firefish gobies
1- Cleaner wrasse
1- Royal Gramma

Thank you for your time and assistance.

FYI: My display tank is currently a 90 gallon FOWLR with a Yellow Tang, Blue Devil Damselfish, Lawnmower Blenny, 5-very small Peppermint Shrimps, 2-Queen Conch, 20-snails. Currently, I have 4 hermit crabs isolated to be donated to my LFS. I don't want them killing my new snails! The damselfish will also be donated to my LFS.

I can only recommend the following procedure: A Quarantine Procedure. Use treatments only when something shows that a treatment is necessary, other than the one or two prophylactic treatments recommended in the above reference.

As to the value of ParaGuard -- never used it. I use proven curative medications only that work nearly 100% of the time. Maybe others have some experience with this product.

I'd argue the point of it 'being too late' to do it correctly. The fish can still be separated.

:)

SWF dot com also has been known to use a single large system for all their fish, thus mixing potential diseases in the "vat".

Last edited:
Back