Seaclone 150 Skimmer. Too many Bubbles!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Roly

Go WhiteSox!
I just started a marine tank of 110 Gal. I have a wet/dry filter and just bought a SeaClone 150 Skimmer. I tried placing the skimmer in the sump but it was way too noisy that way. I decided to hang it on the back and the noice went way down but I cant get the bubbles to stop flowing into my tank. Ive tried adjusting the air regulater, Ive also tried to place a sponge in front of the water heading from the Skimmer to the tank. This helped a little bit but there are still too many bubbles. Any advise? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

i hate to say it but my best advice is to pack that pos back in the box and send it on home.....they dont call them "sea clowns" for nothing....
seriously though, look into getting a refund!
and then buy a octopus 150 needle wheel skimmer!!! you can get one for about $130

and btw, welcome to RF!!!! bask in our collective glow!.......lol

Last edited:
Welcome to RF!! Hope you enjoy it here!:) About your skimmer, where do you have it on your sump hanging? In the first chamber or the return chamber? A photo would help alot as well if you had one...Depending on where you have it set up in your sump, there are a few things you can do to eliminate the bubbles from returning to the tank, but it would all depend on where the skimmer sits (ie if it is hanging on your sump and not the tank) Also, I agree with Mark (skimmerwhisperer) Seaclones are by far not a number one choice of skimmers these days. Infact not very many people use them at all and the ones that do, end up getting rid of them in no time. There are tons of skimmers out on the market not that are inexpensive and work really well. Hope you get sorrted out soon!:)

Well i agree with the refund and return but if youdon't want to do that than just get a filter sock and let teh skimmer dump into that but it sound like something is not working correctly on the skimmer.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I think that I'm just going to get rid of it and buy a new one. I hate to get rid of it seeing as that I just bought it and no longer have the box it came in. But, honestly, Ive spent too much money and time to have a tank full of bubbles (which makes it look cloudy as hell). By the way, can the octopus 150 needle wheel skimmer be placed in the sump and on the back of the tank? Thanks again to Skimerwhisperer, Krish75 and shallowreef.

No problem, I don't know much about the octopus skimmer so i will turn that over to the other guys.

Nick

Hey your from chicago thats awesome

"WE GOT ANOTHER ONE FROM CHICAGO!!"

By the way, can the octopus 150 needle wheel skimmer be placed in the sump and on the back of the tank?

It is an in sump skimmer only but you will not have the noise issues or the bubble problem with it. It will skim circles around the sea clown.

Brian

Ya Im from Chicago. BIG White Sox fan! Have another question for you guys... When I place the octopus skimmer in the sump, can you hear the water when it falls/drips from the skimmer back into the water in the sump? Thanks again.
"Gonna try to get some pics of my tank up"

the octopus nw 150 will only fit in a sump, but i actually fit it in a 10g tank so it doesnt require tons of space in the sump.
i still cant believe it's only $130 for these things...
and you can set the foam on the output so it makes no water noise returning to the sump, very quiet!
this pic is literally just after i turned it on, in fresh salt water just to test plumbing, hence no foam yet.
and the second pic is about 45 min later

Attachments

• hgfghfg.jpg
    hgfghfg.jpg
    24.5 KB
Last edited:
Thanks Skimerwhisperer. Do you need a seperate pump to pump your water from the 10 gal tank to your sump?

Roly - I just wanted to Welcome you to Reef Frontiers!!! You are getting some great advice.

Woohoo! Another White Sox fan! (I grew up in south 'burb).

It would be hard to find a skimmer that under performs the seaclone, but almost all skimmers will release more bubbles into the tank when they are new. I have found this to be especially true of the HOB models. You can always give it a week and see how it does but it well all most certainly be much too small for a 110g, of coarse some people go with out skimmers. Definitely do check out the Octopus, and ASM.

"i still cant believe it's only $130 for these things" - Check out Chinese labor laws and it will be very clear. :oops:

Thanks Jeff. I just ordered the Octopus Skimmer! I had to go with the 110 instead of the Octopus 150 because of the size of their footprints. However Im sure that it will be soooooo much better than what I have now. The 110 supposedly is for tanks up to 150 gal. anyway. I know that bigger is better when it comes to Skimmers but The 150 is just too big....Hope it goes well. Thanks again Jeff.

"i still cant believe it's only $130 for these things" - Check out Chinese labor laws and it will be very clear. :oops:

i can hear the whip cracking on the children now....
(add whip sound here)..
hell, who are we kidding??? at least they arent building weapons...

"who said tyranny cant be fun? friendly fascism, having so much fun, what else do you need"....

Back