SeaClone vs. Prizm Skimmer?If you HAD to pick?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

porksoda

Nano-Reefer
I know everyone doesnt like either one of these skimmers but my parents are getting me a gift and i have to choose one of those because they do not want to order anything but my LFS has both of those in stock. Which would you choose? I have a 55 gallon fish only tank, I am planing on getting some softy corals later in the future. The kind of filteration i have on it now is a Marineland Emperor BIO-Wheel Powerfilters and 2 maxi-jet 1200 powerheads.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Either better be dirt cheap. I have never heard anything good about anyea-clown but have seen a couple prizms handle smaller loads ok.

Neither is worth spending over $40 on...

The prizm skimmer I had (HOB) had two results for me, either it did not skim or it skimmed really light, filled up the cup quickly and leaked all over the floor.

The skimmer is one of the most important parts of your filtration. If it was me I would ask for something different as a gift and save up and buy a quality skimmer.

This is just my humble opinion.

I would agree.....We had a Prizm and it was JUNK...The skimmer is the most important piece in our reef set up...We now have an Octipus 150...I would highly recomend to spend the money upfront......Otherwise ,when you see no results with the Prizm....you will upgrade...might as well spend the money upfront so you dont have to upgrade...it will save you time,money,and lots of frusteration...

Shane and John

i would save for a Aqua C remora... they arent that much and will give you better results.
you will end up with a bunch of "Frist time" buys

we have all spent money on the wrong things b4...

I would agree with everyone above. An Aqua C Remora would work great on a tank that size. Another option would be to watch the equipment for sale forum here on RF. In fact, there's currently 2 great deals on skimmers that are much better than what you're looking at, much better even than a Remora. However, in a FOWLR tank, that you're going to be adding nothing but soft corals, you will probably be just fine with either of those choices. Soft corals tend to like dirty water much more than LPS or SPS. Just keep in mind that if you ever decide to upgrade your tank to be compatible with LPS or SPS, these skimmers probably won't cut it.

what skimmer are you referring to that will not work for sps and lps?

I say find your self a CPR bak pak skimmer and use a mesh modded maxi-jet 1200. That will kick the remora's behind and leave the sea clown and prizm biting the dust way behind it. JMHO

I had them both running on my 40b at one point. I thought the remora was skimming pretty good until I had Mark mesh modded the MJ1200 to put on the bak pak. Man I was amazed at how much more skimmate the bak pak was pulling with the meshed MJ1200. It was 3 or more times what the remora was pulling out so I decided to sell the remora and now I just run the bak pak.
Mark I need to remesh the maxi 1200 where can I get the material? I know I can get a kit from BR but I want more than just a one time kit. Thanks

Sarang

Last edited:
call me old school by why the hell are you gonna buy something to have to mod it later...

once and done... and as far as over full skimming to wet... sounds like you didnt set it up right..

i get 2 cups of dark dark (almost black) skinmate a week.. from both my remora and nano remora

you dont hvae to buy a 500$ skimmer to get it 2 work.. you just dont want 2 buy a 100$ one ither.

good luck

oh and heres your "sps" never gonna make it with a remora.
Picture232.jpg

because it cost half as much as the remora, and because it works twice as well after you spend 15 minutes doing a modification...why wouldnt you do it???
you get 2 cups of skimmate a week?? that isnt nearly enough. you should be pulling 8-12oz a day!
and isnt that aco suppose to be some other color than brown?? it isnt that they wont stay alive, it's that the remora doesnt remove enough nutrient with enough frequency to allow it to maintain it's true color.

call me old school by why the hell are you gonna buy something to have to mod it later...

once and done... and as far as over full skimming to wet... sounds like you didnt set it up right..

i get 2 cups of dark dark (almost black) skinmate a week.. from both my remora and nano remora

you dont hvae to buy a 500$ skimmer to get it 2 work.. you just dont want 2 buy a 100$ one ither.

good luck

oh and heres your "sps" never gonna make it with a remora.
Picture232.jpg

lol

you guys got it...

not gonna fight about this with you.... i know here fishie fishie know's whats up...
since that pic is old the algae you see is from the bloom from the lighting upgrade.. and its not brown its yellow and green..

just letin ya know you dont have to mod anything and u dont have to spend a lotta money. good luck

the crp bak pak in on the other side of the bassment.. waiting to be extracted...

I had them both running on my 40b at one point. I thought the remora was skimming pretty good until I had Mark mesh modded the MJ1200 to put on the bak pak. Man I was amazed at how much more skimmate the bak pak was pulling with the meshed MJ1200. It was 3 or more times what the remora was pulling out so I decided to sell the remora and now I just run the bak pak.
Mark I need to remesh the maxi 1200 where can I get the material? I know I can get a kit from BR but I want more than just a one time kit. Thanks

Sarang

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ENK-PF4C&Category_Code=

Back