Seahorses!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

steven11

Somethingotherthannormal!
Do we have a resident seahorse person? I am setting up a new tank and want to make sure to do it right. The tank is a 16 gal (13x13x22) So I guess I will just start asking.

1.What are my best options of horses with this size tank? I was think just one or maybe two pairs.
2.What is the best substrate or does it really matter?
3.I want to do some different types of plants/algea's, what would suit the horses the best.
4.For hitching, I was going to do a couple of gogorians as well as the plants.
5.For flow, I was thinking that the flow off of my prism skimmer was going to be enough. Would a powerhead to circulate the bottom of the tank be too much?

If I am missing anything, please inform me. That is about the seahorse tank, not me personaly. That is a loosing battle!:lol:

And thank you very much Mike for the tank. I got in a lot less trouble than i thought i was going to when i brought it home.

Please visit Seahorse.org

THe last tank I had were seahorses.

A 16 gallon tank is too small for seahorses..... and too large for dwarves. For long term success you need something bigger.

I had 24 gallon aquapod with two pair, and some org people about ate me alive over that. I would not try a 16.

The thing is with seahorses, they are such slow eaters, and they don't really hunt for food like fish, there is so much waste it's too hard to keep it stable.

Please read up at www.searhorse.org you may change your mind.

In the end, I gave Vicky my seahorses as she had a larger tank for them. I did not feel they were going to be happy and HEALTHY longterm in the pod.

Hopefully you got some help from the folks at the org. Generally speaking, a 16 gal is too small for seahorses. If you are keeping them for the first time you'll want to stay with the easier to maintain variety like Erectus, Kuda, and Redi. Always go with captive bred and never wild caught as the cative bred will be eating frozen Mysis. A tall tank is generally better than a long as most horses like to move up and down through the water column. As mentioned in the previous message, the folks at the org will pound on you but I wouldn't worry about it everyone has has their own unique experiences. I would stick with the info the the org's library and stay away from the forums unless you have a specific problem.

Back