Seaswirls?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

onehawksfan

Got Reef-er?
Okay, I've seen plenty of people with these on their tanks. I just want your opinion about them. Do they require a lot of maintenance? Have you had problems with them? What size do you have? Is it hard to attach to an acrylic tank with euro-style bracing? Thanks for your input!

I don't have any problem and not much maintenance.
It depends what size of pump and tank you have to determine the size of the seaswirls. Other option is wavysea.

I had one for a few months and loved it! You will have to drill a hole somewhere though if using it for a return from your sump to break the siphon, but if used on a closed loop then you're good to go right out of the box. Some people use check valves to prevent back flow but they require maintenance and can also fail so just keep that in mind. As for being attached to euro bracing...I think you'll be fine. I used mine on a glass tank, but can't see there being much difference on a standard eurobrace. Oh yeah...I had the 3/4 sea-swirl with about 750 gph flowing through it and it mixed up things quite a bit in my 75gal in conjunction with my tunzes:)

Great wave making Device I have a total of 5 on 2 diffrent tanks all in the
3/4" size, Never had a problem with any of them yet! The oldest ones now are almost 3 years old a great Investment. I think Sea swirl makes a Acrylic
Mount? HTH...Jeff

I thought about the wavy sea as well one time, but after reading this comment about them by someone who bought one, I said I wouldn't take the chance and stick to the sea swirl if ever I went back to a rotating device

How can you design a product that is for a marine environment and is not water proof?
I bought 2 of the units the first one stopped working after 6 weeks of use and the second unit stopped working 3 weeks later. There are small holes on the bottom of the units and because of salt creep water can get into them causing them to stop working. The manufacturer does not cover this type of damage under warranty but they will fix them for a fee.

Not sure if anyone else had that experience or what, but just thought I'd throw that out anyways about the wavy sea:)

I can say that the wavy sea is DEFINATELY worth the extra dough. I've had mine for a while and I totaly love it. I might have a biased opinion though seeing as how I'm kind of a tech-head:)

I've got a wavy sea I bought for my new 120. Due to the height of the overflows and the way I mounted the WS, (on the center brace) the bottom of the unit was wet..no issues. There are no holes in the bottom of the unit other than the one the water comes through. Near as I can tell, the seam where the top half and the bottom half is what is not water proof.

BTW, did the wet test for plumbing leaks for a week...no issues.

Nick

Back