seattle aquarium water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

What do you all think about using this water, cause heck for $5 for every 100 gallons how could you go wrong right?
I dont think I will use it in my reef, but how about my new fowlr that I am setting up, let me know what every one thinks about it, cause I am looking into some water tanks to trasnport with this could save some serious money and elbow greese from mixing all the time..

Matt

hey matts, sounds good but what about parasites and as its used water with life in it will it store? ive heard some people use ocean water but they bottle it for some time before use, do you know if its mixed water or purified sea water , let us know.

it is sea water for puget sound it has gone through their sterilization process, so no parasites

Matt

yeah, they filter it and UV it and all. I used it when I originally set up my 55 gallon tank about 3.5 years ago. It was ok.... I would not use it for a reef tank but for a fish only tank, sure.

If I was setting up a FOWLR tank. I would be using water from the tap. So IMO you couldnt go wrong. They have some nice storage containers for big amounts. Get yourself a hose and pump and another storage container at your house and your good to go. Good Idea, I wish lived close to facility like that. Good Luck.

is there a link to a website that might have more info on the way they sell the water and any other info?

Matt

I had heard that the reader on the tap is not very accurate and you may get cheated. Is that true?

We've had a few problems, but a phone call always solves it. One time it said we took 1600 gallons... LOL.. we just called them up and told them our tank on the truck only holds 185. No problem, they adjusted the bill. I think it helps that we always get the same amount so we know when it's wrong.

I've been using water from the Seattle Aquarium for about a year now.
When I first started using this water my corals went crazy with love. Corals that were always closed started to open, my growth rate increased and everything is more healthy. I dont know that I credit everything to the water but using it was certainly a turning point.

I live in Tacoma and its actually cheaper for me to drive to Seattle, pick up water and drive back then it is to buy a salt mix @ $35+tax

I supplement with Essential Elements, Calcium and Iodine.

I just cant get over the fact of how polluted puget sound is. filtered or not I am alittle leary about water quality but tagging along for this one.

Back