Securing plug w/o glue

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Adam29c

Im just wondering if there is anything I can use to securely place a frag on rock without glue? Im thinking there must be some kind of putty or something that will secure the plug without perminately gluing it somewhere & is safe to put in the system.

Well there is some of the rock epoxy. It's kinda like a clay. I have stuck a ball of that on my live rock and stuffs a sps piece into it. It even done a little frogspawn in one.

Other than that I think super glue is your only option.
Super gluing doesn't hurt anything. And as far as sps go I always break mine off :(
Put a little dime size ball of super glue ( the gel type works best. )
I put that on the end of the frag and put it on the rock in the water where I want it.

Hold him for a few seconds and your good. Unless your in direct flow then you may want to turn off a power head for a few minutes.

Anyway. The super glue method works great for everything. Btw. Get the gel it works waaay better. Dude in here told me to go to the dollar store and guy the little tubes of it for cheap.
Works and cheap! :)
The only thing you will have problems with is those softies.
Glueing them inside your tank with super glue would be hard. I can only imagine
Those would want to be on a plug.

If you have no plugs, break up a piece of your live rock and use them as pieces. Or buy some of that epoxy I talked about and make little discs.

Good luck
Steven

Long story short. I just read your post again. If you have plugs get that rock epoxy I talked about. You can find it online.
It does dry hard but you can definitely still break it off if you need to.

You can use waterproof putty to secure the plugs... but it takes for ever to bond while underwater. If you use the right amount of Gel Superglue you should be able to snap the plug off to relocate.

One of these day, will have to film a demo on how to superglue frags with IC-Gel - single-handed and underwater in the display. All with only a couple small spots of cement. Was taught years back by an old pro, Paul Hanby aka Fragman.

One of these day, will have to film a demo on how to superglue frags with IC-Gel - single-handed and underwater in the display. All with only a couple small spots of cement. Was taught years back by an old pro, Paul Hanby aka Fragman.

I've thought about doing that too. I wonder if we have a video in the archives anywhere!

Thanks everyone for the input. I like to scape often so it would be nice to be able to pop off the frag and relocate after I move everything around.

A how to video sounds awesome!

Thats funny hes the one that showed me how to glue them too. I hate frag plugs all over my tank so I always take the corals off the plug and glue directley to the live rock with IC-gell. I get it cheap from a on line hobby store.

If you don't want to use glue, I have taken the rock out and used a drill to make holes in the rockmthen just put the plug in the hole.

Back