Seeking advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mdeal13

My wife and I want to set up a reef aquarium. Unfortunately we do not have a big buget to work with. We have OOoood and AHHhhhed at the big, pretty and oh so expensive equipment that is out there to wish for. We have managed to totally confuse our excitement about getting into the hobby to where it isn't even fun to look any more. We decided to try to buy a set up and running system. That has not worked out very well. We then thought we would go with a nano equipped with a metal halide only to be told we most likely would need a chiller...more expense...more confusion.

So...enough of the whiney stuff. Here is what I do have and will it work ok. By the way, this equipment is all new.

65gal 36" wide tank, no overflow, not drilled.

CPR (first version) Hang-on Large Refugium with Light, Pump, and the mud stuff

CPR Bak-Pak 2 Skimmer

I also have a 260 watt 48" + leds Coralife lamp. Won't work well with the 36" tank but I hope I can trade it at the LFS for the right size?

Will the tank, refugium, and skimmer work well for a reef system? I would like some opinions on what we have to work with. Is the hang-on refugium a good option? How about the skimmer? Is that a good skimmer to use?

I think it will all work well for you. There is no "one" way to have a very successful reef tank, many different options and combinations will work great. When I got into the hobby years ago,that was one of my first lessons, never listen to anyone who says this is the only way. The only thing I might change later on if I wanted to would be the skimmer, it might be a tad underpowered depending on the fish load but water changes can totally negate that anyway. If funds a low I would go with what I had and enjoy learning about it. Good luck:)

in vegas most of use had tanks with out chillers a simple 5-10 dollar walmart clip on fan will work great I never used a chiller on any of my tanks. and never will. always have m/h on all my systems and one fan to blow the heat out. and there it is alot hotter then here. I have to use heaters now. to keep my water warm with is a scarey thought.

Sounds like your on your way, you have enought to get started. Water changes help alot, get a test kit if you have not aready. Start slow and Have Fun.

Like fulkerl said GO SLOW. First thing do the research and make a list of the things you want to put in the tank. After that talk to LFS and/or come back here and see what things you want will work together. Any questions you have even (if you feel may be dumb) come here and ask. There were a couple times now that I wished I would have instead I learned the hard way. Good luck and enjoy

You will probably want to drill the tank for an interanl overflow box. Less hassel and just plain safer. I'd skip that mud stuff as well. Just plain old sugar-fine oolitic sand will work out great in your fuge. Also read up on mods for that bak-pak skimmer to make it moe efficient.

Agree with Chichas01 - would definitely recommend drilling an internal overflow on your 65 - makes life much easier for the long haul.

However (and there always is..), as many have said, there is no "right" way to set up a system in this hobby. Much of it will also depend on what you're trying to grow. Get focused on what you're aiming to keep and tailor your system to the requirements of your future inhabitants. (Examples: with SPS, Mh's are strongly preferred by most - while the LPS / Softy lovers frequently go with VHO / T-5 route. SPS lovers - High tech agressive Skimming / Low nutrient water; Zoe lovers - High nutrient, less efficient skimming...generally! There are always exceptions of course (disclaimer).

Most important piece of advice I can give you, is become a part of your local reef club - if they're active. Besides finding great deals from folks who are trading up, you'll get the chance to look at several successful setup's and get face to face advice from members who are not trying to sell you something (LFS...) and see what really works well for them. I'd also check out Tank-of-the-Month builds in several of the larger forums.

What I have found after 15+ years of failures / successes in this hobby is 99% of the time, it is NOT the type/make/model/cost of the equipment someone's running - it's the consistent care and husbandry of their livestock married with an simple and reliable system.

Promote stable conditions / stable parameters (don't forget those regular and consistent water changes)...and you're on your way to success.

I'm not sure how much function you will get from a hang on fuge on a 65. From what I've read, a general rule of thumb for fuge size is 20% the size of the DT. It will definately be better than no fuge, but if you want good filtration/oxygenation and a steady food supply, I think it might need a bit more size.

I'm kind of a noob though, just my 2 cents

Back