Seeking input on increasing performance of a skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefLogic

I am Android
I have a reef octopus 4 skimmer and I am just not happy with the way it is performing. when I put it in 9 to 10 inches of water it the bubbles don't even make it half way up the neck. If I drown it in close to 13 inches of water then I get skimmate. But I want to be able to put it in the chamber I have for it....9 or so inches of water.

What can I do to increase the performance of this skimmer?

is this new??
thats a pretty small skimmer,
what size tank is it on??
also, can you adjust the valve to up the water level to overflow into the cup??

anyway you could always mesh mod the impeller that will give you a bit more juice...

Last edited:
it isn't new but has always worked the same. I did just clean the stuffing out of it though. It is on a 150 now...was on a 60 cube. There is a "valve" I guess, it's more like a stem that you can turn to either open or closed....when I have it on closed the bubbles rise a bit higher....which is where I have it right now....

How do I do a "mesh mod"?

heres a few pics...
you basically cut off the pins from the pinwheel, and replace it with the enkamat mesh,
the best way is to attach with fishing line, but you can also use very small zipties.

here's a mesh mod kit:
BRA Ultimate Mesh Mod Kit - Barrier Reef Aquariums

Attachments

• premod_impeller.jpg
    premod_impeller.jpg
    54.7 KB
  • mesh_ready.jpg
    mesh_ready.jpg
    49.1 KB
  • mesh_trimming.jpg
    mesh_trimming.jpg
    49.4 KB
  • trimmed%201.jpg
    trimmed%201.jpg
    61.1 KB
heres a few pics...
you basically cut off the pins from the pinwheel, and replace it with the enkamat mesh,
the best way is to attach with fishing line, but you can also use very small zipties.

here's a mesh mod kit:

So the mesh is supposed to chop up the water better to create more bubbles?? Is that the theory behind it?

heres a few pics...

here's a mesh mod kit:

Dude....I know it doesn't look complicated or anything but I almost feel like sending you my impeller and asking you to hook it up. If that is your handy work it looks great.

Back