seio for a 125 gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

emilsanto

i am setting up my tank and i was thinking of getting seio's for my 125 what size do i need 1100's ? do i need 2. any help i would be greatful
thanks

IMO, I would say 2-1100's would do a good job. Are you providing any flow from anything else? Return etc.

right now my tank is running i have live sand in it and i am curing live rock in a 55 gallon plastic can. i have a quite one 3000 for my return. i just dont get enough current for it. i was looking at the seios and the aquaclear 901 or 110. and the via aqua 3600's what i want is to get the surface of the water agatated . and flow down lower. i just dont know whats the best prowerheads to get the job done. i think the seios use less watts. but dont know if i can agatate the water surface enough with them. can you or any one give me some advise
thanks

The sieos' are going to better IMO. The others listed above are a direction flow. The seios create a wide flow pattern. They will create good surface agetation and over all general flow.

If you really want the best step up to some tunze's. There great but cost a pretty penny.

Welcome to RF!!!
I agree with getting the Seio's. I had 2 of the 820's and they worked wonderfully. I did swap them out for Tunzes, but not because I disliked the Seio's(LOL). They have tons of mounting options which will allow you to sit them low and still point them up for surface aggitation. As for which ones to get, it all depends on you. You can never have too much flow IMO. Best of luck:)

Seios are great and Tunzes are better but if your looking to save some green stick with seio its basically the same thind as a tunze.

FWIW: I have 2 Seio 1100's in my 90g. I think the 1100's would be ok in your 125, but you might also consider the bigger 1500's. I guess that depends on what you're planning on keeping and how much total flow you want.

Also FWIW: I recently added 2 modded MJ1200's to my 90 in addition to the 2 seio 1100's I already had (2 seios mounted up top, 2 modded MJ1200's mounted on the bottom). I'm pretty sure the modded MJ1200's are putting out more flow than the seio 1100s (only guesstimating by doing a hand in front of the powerhead test). I'm throwing this out there cuz the cost of buying a MJ1200 and the mod kit from mjmods.com will be about the same as a seio 1100 (maybe even a little less).

HTH,
Rob

Does anyone sell the Mj mod kit completely built so all you have to do is attach it and your good to go?

Nick

http://www.mjmods.com

Well sell you a kit around 20.00 to modify a MJ. You still need to do some work though. Some minor cutting etc. Other that it contains eveything you need to mod MJ..

BTW: I have 1 MJ1200 modded and it works great. Nice flow.. Rumor has it a MJ 1200 modded will push something like 2000 gph..

When you buy the complete kit via mjmods.com, here's a summary of the addtional work required by you:

1) drill 3/8" hole into provided shroud for the prop stopper
2) cut short piece of the provided acryllic rod to be used as prop stopper
3) superglue prop stopper into hole drilled
4) cut provided stainless steel shaft to size
5) cut provided hard & soft tubing to size
6) figure out best location for the prop, so that prop will spin without hitting the prop stop when going the correct location, but will hit the prop stop if starts out the wrong direction.
7) superglue prop to hard tubing
8) assemble new prop setup into MJ & shroud
9) test

Besides the kit, you need to provide your own superglue, something you can cut the stainless steel shaft with & some sissors to cut the tubing. It took a little tweaking to figure out how long to cut the hard tubing & where to place the prop to have it all work properly. Luckily, with the kit, you get 12" of stainless steel shaft, hard & soft tubing. So there's more than enough to try, screw up, then try again. In fact, I tried, screwed up, tried again & still had enough shaft & tubing to make a 2nd mjmod. Of course, I ordered an extra shroud, centering cap & prop when I ordered the kit. Once you figure it out, making the 2nd was much easier.

Also, there are 2 different size shrouds available, and different size props to be used with the different shrouds. Of course, the larger gets you more flow. I used the large size.

HTH,
Rob

Back