Set up of quarantine tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mikro

This is my first attempt at a quarantine tank.
I guess I may have to use it as a hospital tank too if the need arises...

10 gal. glass aquarium
Marineland Biowheel 100 Power Filter
2" live crushed coral (from display tank)
2 25 watt incandescent bulbs
1 100 watt heater

TIA

That will work. You probley already know this, after the crushed coral gets the bio cycle started, if your going to use copper you might want to remove the C.C. so the copper doesnt bond to it instead of being usable to kill parisites.

Yep, in fact the crushed coral can trap organic waste which can break-down certain medications such as antibiotics. These medications work best when they're in the water all the time. As organics break them down the dose in the tank can be next to nothing within 24-48 hours, which increases the risk of resistance to the drug (in the case of antibiotics). Take about half the coral out after a week or so, and then take the rest out a week or so after that. By that time the bacteria will have cultured on the bio-wheel. Add a tiny bit of flake food every once in a while when the tank is empty to keep the bacteria alive. Also, it's usually best to keep the lights off while the tank is empty to cut down on algae growth.

Clayton

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I agree in not adding the crushed coral. For fish keep some PVC in the tank to serve as hiding spots. I keep a handful of bioballs in my sump to place in my QT to help with the filtration. Here is a picture of my quarantine tank. The gladware containers have holes drilled in them and are full of bioballs (some of which are from the sump). The powerhead is connected with a small piece of PVC, then it pulls the water through the container and out into the tank. This is the link to where the idea came from: Simple DIY Biofilter

QT.jpg

Cool Nikki, never would of thought of that. I like it. I just use a emperor filter on mine. If I have to medicate I just take out the cartridge and leave the biowheel running. I have a 55 and a 44 set for quar. though. I am thinking on setting up a 29 for coral and anmone and clams as well.

Back