Setting up a 20g tank. Aqua C skimmer or ???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bklynmet

I'm setting up a 20g RR Oceanic tank as a second tank - independent of my 75g. Consequently, it'll need its own skimmer. I'm planning on a sump - 10 to 15 gallon range - chambered so there will be a refugium in there as well.

Now, I know skimmers - of good quality are few to choose from for a tank setup this size. I prefer having the skimmer in the sump. I think an Aqua C Urchin appears to be the best candidate but I do not know:
1. If it is the best option for a 20 g - are there others out there?
2. How much work is to maintain an Aqua C Urchin - since they use spray injection, would nozzles require frequent cleaning
3. Foam production - does it need ot be dialed in? I know Aqua C promotes just drop in and go but is it really so?

Thanks for your input.

I have the AquaC nano on my 24gal aquapod and it skimms great! Took about 1.5 weeks to start working properly as well as upgrading the pump from the recommended maxijet 900 to the 1200. As far as cleaning goes, the AquaC's injectors are supposed to be pretty much maintenance free. The manual only suggests cleaning it if something gets lodged in there. As far as cleaning the neck and collection cup goes, they all remove together as one piece so it's a breeze...As far as dialing it in, all you do is either raise or lower the collection cup and that's it. The lower the collection cup, the wetter the skimmate and vice versa. My vote is for any of the AquaC remora skimmers:)

my goal is for non-HOB - want to keep flodding/spills to a min.. Do Aqua C Urchins perform as good as the Remoras?

i have the CSS65 and it's been working well, getting dark skimmate, i've done the output mod, as no one i've seen really likes their tube and box

Well, personally I've never used an Urchin, but it appears it uses the same injector as the remoras do which means it should basically be the same skimmer, just in sump so my guess is they are great! Someone will have to confirm that though like maybe Mark (skimmerwhisperer). I've had another AquaC skimmer before as well...The EV120 and was pleased as well. Seems all of their skimmer work pretty well:)

aqua c,

but the remora and the Urchin are just about the same,

the urchin cant be hung out side the tank.

with the hob, you will be able to use it inside the sump as well as out side

Back