Setting up my 40b - substrate choice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rainydave

Chimp in Space......
I am getting towards the final stages of my 40b build. I drilled and plumbed up the overflow/return last night.

I'm looking at putting live sand in it, but can't remember what brand sand I used in the past. For this one I'm looking at the Arag-Alive Fiji Pink. I think it will be a nice base color for my corals. I have a pistol shrimp & goby, so I want them to be able to burrow.

The particular sand I'm looking at is: here. Does anyone know of a local source (Everett/Bothell/Kirkland/etc)?

I am getting towards the final stages of my 40b build. I drilled and plumbed up the overflow/return last night.

I'm looking at putting live sand in it, but can't remember what brand sand I used in the past. For this one I'm looking at the Arag-Alive Fiji Pink. I think it will be a nice base color for my corals. I have a pistol shrimp & goby, so I want them to be able to burrow.

The particular sand I'm looking at is: here. Does anyone know of a local source (Everett/Bothell/Kirkland/etc)?

Packaged live sand is a waste of money. If you can just find it dry your better off. The live will be full of dead decaying junk you dont want or need. The bacteria will be dead.

Don

Hey Dave, check out Denny's at Totem Lake and just seed it with your established substrate. If they don't have exactly what you want ask Jesse (mngr) to see if he can special order it for you.

Todd

Like every one has said you don't need to waste your money on live sand. The sand in your link looks very fine. I would stay away form really fine sand. It sucks to vacuum out and water flow really blows it around.

Back