Setting up my first Reef tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Darkim

I have a 175 gallon Bowfront tank that I'm going to develop into my first reef attempt. I have had other tanks but have always wanted a reef. My question to start with is in the lighting. The tank is 29.5 inches tall and I plan on having about a 4 inch sand bed. I'm not sure exactly what corals I will end up with, but I would like the setup to handle whatever catches my eye as I go. I have a few friends that have reefs and are helping me but they suggest I ask as many people as I can about their ideas then make my decision as to what to buy. I was looking at a complete hood from Hamilton Tech (3-250 watt Metal Halides, 4-96 watt CP). My wife really liked my friends moon light so I need to add those (after all she is letting me spend the money). I'm looking for suggestions as to what lights to use, a commercial hood, do it yourself, and what to put into it. I know the Hamilton hood fixture is about $1200, but I want it done right the first time so I don't mind spending the money. Of course I don't want to spend all my money on things I don't need either. Any help is appreciated, Thanks

I'm not a lighting expert so I'll leave that up to the others. Just wanted to say welcome aboard! Glad you have decided to make RF your new home. Best of luck and feel free to ask whatever question you may have...:) BTW...Cool size tank!;)

Last edited:
Thats more of a personal call Darkim. Having a premade fixture usually means its sitting on top or above the tank. The good is that its a nice clean unit that you can remove easy. the con is that alot of the light is going to stray into the room that you have the tank in, which might not be what you want. If you go with a hood you loose the stray light but you need to buy a hood and then wire it up with the lights. The good side of that is that the lighting would be about a 1/2 to 1/3 the cost. As per the lighting I think the 3 x 250 watters will be great and allow you alot of range as to what you can keep.

hope it helps

Mike

Thanks for the input. I went to a local aquarium store and spent some money today. Now to go along with the 175 gallon Bowfront I have a Hamilton Tech 6' Prostar with 3-250 watt 10K HQI halide's and 4-96 watt PC compacts. Also a Ero-fil 180 sump with a Red Sea Berlin turbo classic skimmer and a Mag-drive supreme 18 pump. Through in the Arctica titanium chiller (1/4 hp) and I think I have the making of a decent starter reef. I don't know if there is anything else I need or not. I'm planning on using four return nozzles (two head each with a "Y" to make 8 directionals) from the sump to give me the water flow. If anyone can think of anything else I need let me know. If I wasted money on some things I don't need or went overkill, I guess it won't hurt any, will it?

Back