shells in my tank. where are they coming from

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bapski

hello guys!

its been awhile since ive posted. just recovered from the devastation i suffered from losing almost $500 worth of fish i guess.

thing is ive noticed that i see shell thingys on my tank. these shell seem range from being closed to ones that have opened up. im wondering where these shells are coming from and if they are any good to my system or they have to be taken out.

i only have a generic skimmer running and i do have UV STERILIZER that i only turn-off during the weekend. i also have thriving fuge.

thanks guys.

Hmm...Couldn't say. Any chance to post a pic? Sorry to hear about your past losses, but it's good to see you're back into the hobby:)

thanks for the reply. was never gone. am just around lurking around on new posts. anything thatll help me with my tank.

just acquired a harlequin turkfish and i love him. he is the new star of the tank. and was nervous at first when i got him because i was traumatized with my previous losses. whats promising though is its eating extremely well and seems to be adjusting and enjoying his new home.

will post pics later and see if anyone can help me out.

thanks again.

100_3828.gif

seems like picture is way too small for you guys to possibly see the shells. will try to upload a bigger pic and see if you can id shells better.

i have no idea what they are called, but on the beach in Florida, we have tons and tons of them .... they burrow in the sand...they are everywhere here..if you dig in any sand that is near the waterline, you will dig them up..if they are open like that, they are dead...the closed ones are probably still alive.....i would think they need a sand bed to live in....also, i don't think they will do any harm in your tank.. they might have come in on your live rock

Last edited:
Back