Sherman Tank 120

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sherman

Has Met Willis
I'm getting really close to adding water, so I figure it's about time to start posting progress photos of the 120g (4x2x2) I've been working on for quite some time now. I had hoped to have water in it a few weeks ago, but that just wasn't possible. The tank is a used AGA 120 from a club member.

I've just never been able to tolerate the AGA Mega-Flows. They're bulky, take up precious aquascaping space, and have that silly dual layer setup. Most importantly, they're curved, so the coralline can't be scraped off very effectively. So the first project was replacing those overflows with a single, square overflow.

The 120 comes with 2 overflows, with 2 holes drilled in each (1" and 3/4"), for a total of 4 holes. AGA intended the 3/4" to be used for returns, but I decided I'd rather be more conventional, and go over the back with the return plumbing, so I could eliminate one of the overflows and use both holes in the remaining overflow for drains. To cover the now unused holes, I decided to copy what the bottom of the tank was already made out of, 1/2" tempered glass. I siliconed a piece right over the top of the holes. Looking back, this was extreme overkill. It wouldn't have taken anywhere near this much strength to cover those holes. Oh well, I'll sleep easy at night, knowing it's pretty much bulletproof down there.

The final step was painting the tank. I'd long ago decided I wanted a tank with an open area for fish to swim, and I thought the "edge of the reef" would be a nice effect. This also worked out well with the offset of the overflow. So... I painted the background. 4 different blues (the darkest is hard to see in this photo) and black. This photo was while I was leak testing the siliconed plate of glass.
painted+back.jpg

Next was a stand. I wasn't really in the mood to shell out a few hundred dollars for a custom stand, so I decided to do it myself. All the furniture in my house is Mission style red oak, and I wanted something a little different for the new aquarium, so I decided on black stained birch. The back and sides of the tank are made of 3/4" birch plywood for strength, and the front is made from birch hardwood. The top and bottom are plain 3/4" plywood. I painted the inside with a 2-part epoxy after I sealed all the seams with silicone. The stand should hold several gallons of water, in case of flood.

I contemplated what to do with the sump for quite some time. I wanted a refugium, and I had to fit the 10" round AE-USA skimmer. The sump is made from 3/8" acrylic, is euro-braced, and has 1/4" baffles. The 1" tank drain will drop right down into the skimmer chamber through a filter sock, go through the bubble trap, and into the return chamber. The 3/4" drain will feed the refugium, which will overflow into the return chamber. Total volume of the sump is about 45g, with about 18g of that being backup.

sump+on+stand.jpg

I still need to put another coat of stain on the stand, then varnish it. Once that's done, it's back out to the backyard for leak testing the entire setup.

Notes on equipment:
The return pump is a Mag 12. I'd like a Sequence Snapper, in time, but this Mag came at the right price and will do the job.

Water movement will happen with Seio powerheads. I have a 2600 and a 1500. If those don't work out to enough flow, I have another 1500 as backup. In time, I'd like to see Vortechs on the tank, but these work for now.

The skimmer is an AquaEuro USA Classic 400. It looks like they've fixed their pump problems, so I'm anxious to see what this thing will do.

Lighting is a Catalina Aquatics fixture with 2x250w DE metal halides, 4x39w T5 and an array of moonlights. It will be hanging from the ceiling via stainless braided cabling and GripLocks.

I will be running a 25w UV sterilizer. I'm going to attempt to gravity feed this unit. Flow won't be anywhere near what it's supposed to handle, so I'm not sure what that will mean. If it doesn't work out, I'll remove it until I can add that Snapper pump, and have some flow to waste.

Very nice Jason! I'm interested in seeing how the backround looks against the light and the aquascaping. Good luck with it:)

The sump is 43" long, the inside of the stand is 47" across. :D

Krish, I'm pretty anxious about lighting the background, also. A club member did a similar background on his tank, but didn't go as light up high. He said it looked great when he painted it, but once it saw water, it all just looked blue. From his experience, he highly suggested going with more contrast (lighter to darker) than you'd think necessary. When I leak test it, I'll bring the lights out, as well, and fire them up to see how it looks. If it just doesn't work, I'll scrape it all off and go straight black.

The sump is 43" long, the inside of the stand is 47" across. :D

Krish, I'm pretty anxious about lighting the background, also. A club member did a similar background on his tank, but didn't go as light up high. He said it looked great when he painted it, but once it saw water, it all just looked blue. From his experience, he highly suggested going with more contrast (lighter to darker) than you'd think necessary. When I leak test it, I'll bring the lights out, as well, and fire them up to see how it looks. If it just doesn't work, I'll scrape it all off and go straight black.

Im going to paint my next tank and I think yours looks great! What kind of paint did you use? Suprisingly I've never had to paint anything, so the only place I'd know to look is Home Depot hehe.

Home Depot is exactly where I bought the Rustoleum "Painter's Touch" rattle cans. I went to the spray paint area, started picking a bunch of blues out of the rack and lining them up. It just so happened that all 5 were Rustoleum, and it just so happened that HD was having a "Buy 2 get 1 free" sale, so it was a done deal. :)

All the plumbing's been dry fitted. Maybe I'll get to gluing it tomorrow. I still need to sand and add another coat or two of clear over the top of the stand, then I can leak test. I'm also leaning toward foregoing the UV filter until I have a stronger return pump (I'm thinking Sequence Snapper, in time), but I still may gravity feed it with the 3/4" drain.

Today, I wanted to get a clue about how intense the lighting was going to be. I rested the pendant on top of the tank on some boards I had laying around and lit it up. Wow! The room shot was taken with all the lights on in the house! I'm sure the light will be contained a little better once there's actually water in the tank... hopefully. :) Here's the tank, with a tan colored towel on the bottom and a couple of rocks, just so I could see the light bouncing off of something.

first+light.jpg

And here's the tank in its new home.
first+light+in+room.jpg

Hey J now thats is going to be a nice set up man,put some water in soon.:D
Oh this is waiting for you.
fijipremck2.jpg

Last edited:
Leak test passed, no leaks. Here's the DIY overflow and teeth at work. These were done with a 1/4" router bit, spaced every 1/2". So, 1/4" hole, 1/4" tooth, alternating.

overflow+teeth+closeup+1.jpg

overflow+teeth+closeup+2.jpg

overflow+teeth+closeup+3.jpg

The white spa-flex down tubes will be replaced with black PVC. I just had these scraps laying around, and they were long enough to get the return under water. This is the configuration I plan on running them, though. Pointed straight down, behind the rocks.

I had a lot of concerns that the overflow plumbing wouldn't keep up with the Mag12 return. AGA lists the 1" pipe as being capable of 600gph, so I assumed the 3/4" was probably around 300-400gph, for a total of 1000gph on the high end, which is right where the Mag12 sits with 6' of head. Upon real world practice, the 3/4" was moving about 900gph by itself, and only a trickle was coming out of the 1", so that gives me a lot of headroom, and means I can lose a little flow by feeding the UV filter with the 3/4" after all.

Here's the configuration on the plumbing. As mentioned above, I converted the 3/4" return line into a drain, and the "Durso" on the 1" pipe is just the stock manufacturer AGA stand pipe. It has holes in the side, which defeats the whole purpose, so I don't know why they do that. It also doesn't function silently, so that's not working, either.
inside+overflow.jpg

Hopefully, I'll be able to add salt by Monday, but it may be a little longer. Since I don't have a significant reservoir yet, I'm still filling 5g buckets with RO/DI, one at a time. I'd love to be able to just run the line over to the tank, but I don't have enough length, and it's not worth a trip to the hardware store for me.

Very nice Jason! I know you must be enjoying this big tank and can't wait to transfer. I'm getting the itch myself a bit again, but we'll see :)

Southdown.... only one downside, the dust storm. I put in about 130lbs of Southdown sand this evening. Even after rinsing it first, it's still a mess. I threw the lights on it just because.

This is sort of a "Changing of the Guard" kind of photo. The old 38g in the background, and the new 120g here to start a whole new era.
old+and+new.jpg

Looking good, you wont have all the corals growing in each other for now in the 120.Be car full removing the colony's.Last time i did a tank change i had a bunch of frags.

Hey Kevin! Yeah... I don't know how I'm going to get all the colonies out of the 38. I'll have a ton of frags, without a doubt. I'm mostly concerned with the large tabling millepora. It's encrusted onto at least 2 other corals, so I have to find out how to break that up, without breaking the mille...I really want that one intact. It's up to about 12" now. :)

Edit: And not all the corals are going to make it over. I learned a lot from the 38, and I know I need to give the corals more space now. I'm definitely done with anything encrusting. The Idaho Grape is the biggest nuisance in the tank.

I sold allot of my sps colony's.I just have five.Are you going to put allot of rock or going for, the lowpro look? I took out 60LB of rock and that was the best thing i did for my colony's and fish.If you want to trade or sell your Idaho Grape let me know.

Back