Shimmer effect LED vs MH vs T5 vs ???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefLogic

I am Android
I am curious to see what kind of shimmer effect different lights produce. I would really like to do some comparisons but I only have 2 in my possession so I made a cheesy....horrible quality....video to demonstrate the difference between my MH and my LED fixtures.

But I would like to see what your guys's lights do for you. I would love to be able to compare T5's to MH to LED to VHO and whatever else you guys got....plasma...whatever. I would also like to know a few things about your set up if I may

Strength of lights (250 MH HQI)
if MH DE or SE
Kelvin (10k, 15k, 20k and so on)
Maker if a unit

and whatever else you guys might be relevant. I am just kinda seeking a certain appearance and I can't seem to find it. Either the LED's (for me anyway with my set up) are crazy fast...and the MH is pretty nice but can be dim (at least in this video)

Anyway....here you go...these tanks are the same depth

First tank is 60g 2x2x2 with an LED fixture that is SUPPOSED to be comparable to a 180w MH

Second tank is 3x3x2 and has a Coralife Aqualight Pro 250w MH HQI DE Pheonix 14k

YouTube - Shimmer effect of LED vs MH

I warned you....the video kinda sux. I will try and take another one with my actual camera if I have time tomorrow.

I did a thread on the shimmer effect for people to post their pics and it was a total flop :rofl:

Here are two pictures of the shimmer I got from metal halides.

My old 75gal with dual 250w SE metal halides.

My 24 gal Aquapod I chopped up the backwall in to install an acrylic blue back. Lighting was 150 HQI metal halide.

Can somebody delete by error post....

Lets try it again...

Here is the T5 lighting

Here is the LED lighting

Can somebody delete by error post....

Lets try it again...

Here is the T5 lighting

Here is the LED lighting

Deleted...:)

Very nice Caesar!! First clip I was too busy watching the flow to check out the lights. Had to pay attention halfway through LOL! The LED tank looks great!! Never imagined you could get such a nice shimmer from Led's! Very nice!! :)

YouTube - Shimmer of water in my reef tank.mov

Here is my tank tried to show the shimmer of the water-being underwater. hope you guys like the vid, music is being uploaded so if you doing hear it the first time it will be on later. let me know what you think of the tank!

Hope this works......
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="1280" height="750" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3d6P5iuR_K4?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

250w MH.
4x39w T5 actinic.

Deleted...:)

Very nice Caesar!! First clip I was too busy watching the flow to check out the lights. Had to pay attention halfway through LOL! The LED tank looks great!! Never imagined you could get such a nice shimmer from Led's! Very nice!! :)

I forgot to mention... T5 does not have shimmer... just for comparison, sorry Krish...lol

Wow....great shots and vid's here guys. VERY nice comparisons. I am impressed with those LED ones.

Back