Shipping Corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I was thinking of sending a few of my softy's off to Oklahoma to get my dad started in his new hobby. Possibly a Leather Toadstool and some extra Colt Coral for now.

What is the best way to ship as far as packaging and temperature control goes? Not sure if it will be worth the price but thought it would be a nice gesture. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help!

Aaron

There's been a lot of success, especially with soft corals that have strong mucous reactions, with damp shipping. The coral frag is wrapped in a wet paper towel and then placed in a plastic bag, filled with air. This bag is then shipped in a styro lined box, to insulate temperature. This cuts down on shipping weight and also cuts down on the coral producing lots of amounts of mucous. From everything I've read, this is one of the best ways to ship soft corals IF the coral can go from tank to tank in under 18 hours.

Otherwise, double bagged, in a bag of 1/3 water and 2/3 air. Bag placed in a styro lined box, with heat pack taped to the lid of the box, to keep the heat pack from coming into contact with bag. You'll still want to ship next day, if possible. You can also attach the coral frag to a piece of styrofoam and hang it upside down, in the bag. The styrofoam floats, suspending the coral below it, in the water. This keeps the coral from coming into contact with the plastic bag, which irritates it.

Some corals, such as Zoanthids and hardier leather corals, commonly do fine with 2 day shipping, as long as there are no extremes in heat or cold.

Lately, a lot of success has also been had using the damp method with Zoanthids. I'm considering trying it with a few different corals, myself.

The reason people have been experimenting with the damn method is because it's been shown that a lot of shipping mortality is due to the coral being submerged in it's own chemical slime, in water and from being irritated by coming into contact with the bag.

Last edited:
There's been a lot of success, especially with soft corals that have strong mucous reactions, with damp shipping. The coral frag is wrapped in a wet paper towel and then placed in a plastic bag, filled with air. This bag is then shipped in a styro lined box, to insulate temperature. This cuts down on shipping weight and also cuts down on the coral producing lots of amounts of mucous. From everything I've read, this is one of the best ways to ship soft corals IF the coral can go from tank to tank in under 18 hours.

Otherwise, double bagged, in a bag of 1/3 water and 2/3 air. Bag placed in a styro lined box, with heat pack taped to the lid of the box, to keep the heat pack from coming into contact with bag. You'll still want to ship next day, if possible. You can also attach the coral frag to a piece of styrofoam and hang it upside down, in the bag. The styrofoam floats, suspending the coral below it, in the water. This keeps the coral from coming into contact with the plastic bag, which irritates it.

Some corals, such as Zoanthids and hardier leather corals, commonly do fine with 2 day shipping, as long as there are no extremes in heat or cold.

Lately, a lot of success has also been had using the damp method with Zoanthids. I'm considering trying it with a few different corals, myself.

The reason people have been experimenting with the damn method is because it's been shown that a lot of shipping mortality is due to the coral being submerged in it's own chemical slime, in water and from being irritated by coming into contact with the bag.

That was a good , informative post!!!! thanx

You know, if you wanted to ship sid, I would always do next day, but that is just me. But I know for a fact that UPS will get stuff here in one day from Spokane. Yeah, I would give it a go.

Great advice Sid. Not sure if it will make it there in 18hrs so looks like i'll have to bag it with water and air.
What kind of heating packs are typically used in the box? Also, anyone know where the best place to find styro lined boxes? I checked at the local UPS store and they dont carry anything like it in stock.

I use to sell and buy corals on Ebay. Softies are usually tough when it comes to shipping. I wouldn't go any longer than Priority USPS shipping though. See what the temp is in Oklahoma, you might not even need a heat pack. If heat pack is needed, you can usually pick one up at your LFS. They typically run as long as 24hrs. Good luck!

Ricky

Last edited:
While I’m new to saltwater, I have shipped dozens of freshwater dwarf inverts (shrimp) orders all over the U.S…. All were shipped using USPS, both Priority & Express shipping. I have experienced, excellent service and zero loss. Priority shipping should work just fine for most shipments. Many priority shipments will arrive next day, if shipped early in the day depending on region. A 12”x12”x 9” box 1 pound weight Priority 2 day from Seattle to Miami is $13.95, next day Express $25.15…The post office provides free priority boxes, they can be found in the lobby of all post offices. If you don’t see them,simply ask and they will give you one or more. You are expected to provide your own box for express shipping, however I simply take a priority box, slit one seam with a razor knife and turn them inside out. I build my own Styrofoam boxes out of the ¾” inch Styrofoam sheets you can buy at Home Depot or Lowe’s (Same stuff we use under our tanks). Seal the corners well with shipping tape.

Usually heat packs and cold packs are not necessary unless temps are extreme on either end of the shipment. If you do use a heat pack or cool pack, place it between the cardboard box and the foam box. Punch a couple holes in the Styrofoam with a pencil and your good to go…

This link will provide postage cost and arrival time.
http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm?from=home_header&page=calculatepostage

Hope this helps... The biggest hurdle to get over in shipping is the fear of shipping.

Back