Shipping Zoa's

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

15milerd

What's the best way to ship zoo's??
I need to ship some zoo's and want them to arrive alive!:D

What type of cold packs, and how do you use them in shipping?? When do you use them? (70,80,90 degrees)

I ship zoos in a damp paper towel placed inside a large ziplock with lots of air and no standing water.

I've also had zoo's and mushrooms come in on uncured ebay liverock that had been sitting in a damp cardboard box for a minimum of a week and a half. Upon sticking them in my tank, they were opened up and looking healthy within 2 hours.

With reguards to temperature, from what I've been told and observed, when a zoo is in open air, they go into a protective "low tide" mode. In this low tide mode they are much more tolerent of high temps and big temp swings, as they are often in full tropical sunlight bakeing for hours during low tides, I belive 115deg was around the upper edge of the safe heat range for most animals like zoo's at low tide.

Then, of course they get a hell of a temp shock when the first incomming big wave hits them and drops then instantly to 80ish. For some zoo's this is a daily occurance. For others, it only happens during extreme low tide days.

I just had a friend send me a frag in a small thermos bottle inside a styrofoam lined box. It was shipped overnight.

Back