Should I ask???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

eww

If you bought a fish from a LFS and it lived in your tank just over 24hrs then died would you try to go back to the store for a refund even though they have a no SW fish guaranty policy? Just curious if this is more of a buyer beware situation or if I should actually try to make the argument. What do you think?

Depends. If it's a store that you've had a long relationship with, you know them and they know you, I would ask. If the folks in the store know you, and since most of us know the owners of the shops that we frequent it can't hurt. If they say no, then it's no but if you approach it with the right attitude you might find some sympathy. Worst that happens is they say no.

What kind of fish, BTW? Did it show any signs of being sick or distressed when you got it?

Mike

I would test water, take test results in addition to a sample of water and a frozen fish for them.

Depends. If it's a store that you've had a long relationship with, you know them and they know you, I would ask. If the folks in the store know you, and since most of us know the owners of the shops that we frequent it can't hurt. If they say no, then it's no but if you approach it with the right attitude you might find some sympathy. Worst that happens is they say no.

What kind of fish, BTW? Did it show any signs of being sick or distressed when you got it?

Mike

It was a wild caught Mandarin Goby. It looked just fine when we bought it yesterday afternoon however when we fed last night and tonight it did not eat . We have a good pod population however I know this fish did not starve in the amount of time we had it.

if you knew the policy before you bought the item and still made the choice to buy it me do not think you have a right to ask for refund. we always ask how long the fish has been in store and if it has been eating.

Most if not all fish stores that sell SW fish don't guarantee there fish. With that said it's always buyer beware. Mandarins are a hit and miss. You can always ask but more likely they will say no. They might give you a discount on a new one but not usually the case. I always ask to see the fish eat and watch there behavior but it also comes down to feeling. Good luck.

My moto is that if you don't ask, the answer will always be no. So ask.

I bought a sea cucumber that basically ended up exploding (tearing in half) within 24 hours from a small LFS. They had no policy and wouldn't refund my money but he did say he'd take care of me the next time I came in.

Sorry you're little guy didn't work out. Best of luck.

It cant hurt to ask. Id ask all they can do is say no.

Don

I agree with Don. Sometimes a company would take the loss just to get you coming back. The loss now may be worth more to them in the end as it could bring them more buisness. You'll never know unless you ask :)

Well unfortunately the answer was no. Seems kinda stiff to me with all that we have bought over the years but it is what it is. It is not one of the RF sponsors if anyone was wondering but that's all I will say. There is no need of slinging mud.

Thank you for everyone's input.

Hmm, I just added a mandarin and never saw it after addition. I'm sure the carcass is gone, but I saw a mini algae bloom on the glass 3-4 days after I added it. Not sure what happened. Just gonna buy another, as they are pretty cheap.

Wonder if these all came from the same supplier and there was some issue.

We will be holding out for a tank raised specimen and we will witness it eating before purchasing this time.

Back