Should I be concerned about this?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bc_slc

Noticed this a few weeks ago in the right bottom corner of the tank. The tank has had water in it for about 16 months. Not really changing much in size, but has me a bit concerned. If it is a problem, how do I fix it?

Mat

corner3.jpg

corner2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Not sure Matt! I would be kinda scared myself. I would ask Ilham about it because from the pics he posted, it looked like he had the exact same thing happen. I hope you get it all sorted out :)

yeah, I am a bit concerned. It looks like the seam has opened up some. Interestingly it is from the outside in. I am wondering if I could reseal it with some weldon I have at home. It is pretty low in the tank and the tank is 30" deep.

I hope there is a way to fix it without draining the tank. It has only had water in it 16mo, and the tank is FINALLY happy. No algae, corals all growing and coloring up.

Sigh,

Mat

Well that is not a good sign. Looks like the exact problem my old tank (of about 16-18 months setup, too). Glue is just coming apart!

What is worst there is that yours is splitting apart at the bottom, where the greatest pressure is exerted.

I would contact IAP as I'm hoping there is a guarantee/warranty with the tank purchased from them Mat.

I see the IAP logo on it.

Let me know what happens when you do talk to them.

Best,
Ilham

bah......

I intentionally did not want to say who the manufacturer was. Damn me for including the sticker in the picture. For the record, I have been nothing but pleased with my IAP tank. Their customer service is excellent and I think their craftsmanship is very good. I would recommend them to anyone looking to have a custom tank made.

Mat

Mat it seems to me based on the situation you shouldnt be pleased at all with the tank nor craftmanship. Regardless it may be time to take some action before you end up with some serious water damage. I'm a little suprised water isn't already leaking.. There may be a bead of thicker weldon on the inside seam keeping things dry.. You may be able to create some bracing to buy time but I think I'd be getting some rubbermaid storage tanks ready for a tank swap.

I am really sorry to see this and wish you the best.

At our last local meeting paul hamby had one of the best repair jobs I had seen on acrylic. I would remedy that soon.

True that Brad. It was only 1.5" to 2" seam break in the upper part of the tank but it was real clean. He still had to drain the tank to do it though.

From what I recall Paul welded two peices of acylic into a V-shape then welded that to the failed seam giving it not only a water tight seal but also a larger welded surface area.

yeah, he took some small square pieces of acrylic and fixed them to the inside corners, then fixed the eurobrace at each corner.

Damn it. It just totally sucks that this would happen now. My tank is really super happy for the first time since it was set up. Corals are growing, happy and coloring up really well. I just HATE that I am going to have to take it down.

Any advice on a way to brace this?

Do you think the weldon would be a waste?

I'm no expert by far but I'd strap it with one of the ratchet types but that may make things worse. Lets hope you find a solution promptly, I'd hate loosing such a nice tank.

Mat - man - sorry to see this! Definitely not a good thing and this makes me a little nervous about my IAP tank. They seem to have a string of bad luck lately. But then again it's probably a biased view as we only see the tanks that have had issues and not an overall number of tanks out there.

have you called IAP and asked them for suggestions? I'd go straight to them or else Jason @ Clear Fabrications. He's awesome and probably won't mind helping you out.

Back