shrimps and feather dusters dying

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Octupus

Octupus
hi.. i have a 24gallon nano tank in my office. Yesterday i did nto go to work and this morning i found my two red blood shrimps dead and my two large feather dusters dead. the fish (goby) is fine. what could have caused this? the water quality was fine. my instinct is the water temperature. My thermo is set to 75 but with the lights it may have surged to 80. could that be the reason? thanks!

Surges to 80 will not really cause death. Typically sustained high temps will result in death. With that said, if they were not healthy to begin with, then a surge in temperature could have pushed it over the top. I would suggest checking your water params. Typically dead shrimps are an indication that something is off.

Surges to 80 will not really cause death. Typically sustained high temps will result in death. With that said, if they were not healthy to begin with, then a surge in temperature could have pushed it over the top. I would suggest checking your water params. Typically dead shrimps are an indication that something is off.

I agree sounds like something may have gotten in your tank (ie copper) or your params are off (a spike in ammonia could have killed the feather dusters and the shrimp though the corals would likely show some signs of stress)

Back