Shrinking Cheato

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Peppie

Every time I add a big fluffy ball of cheato to my fuge, it will stay big anf fluffy for about 3 weeks, then it starts to shrink, get more compact and brittle.
Whats up with that???

Light cycle is opposite that of the DT. It gets approx 12 hours of light per day.

Im not sure if its true or not, but i heard to leave the light on over the cheato around the clock. I was having the same issue as you for a long time. I started leaving the light on 24/7 and i started with a baseball size. After about 3 months, its the size of a basketball. Another thought. Mayne there isnt enough nutriants to maintain? Ive heard of that happening also.

Following along because I'm curious when I leave it on. I've heard opposite of the display to keep the ph also.
My cheato hasn't grown a ton yet. I also have dragons breath under mine.
I've noticed some green algae growing probably from the lights being on too much in my fuge? I actually cut back hrs. Haha so I'm in with you pep cause I'm confused too ;)

Anybody else have any ideas? On/off light cycle for cheato or on all the time? Mine seems to be doing good. So i probably wont change, unless theres a good reason.

Algae doesn't thrive on light alone. It needs nutrients and iron. If those 2 are lacking the chaeto will recede. I know of many who dose iron in their fuges. Personally I've never tried it.

in my plant science history and experiances only an mature plant needs periods of photo darkness. that is when friut/reproduction is developed and the release of 02 and waste gasses. which in our hobbie we are trying to prevent from going sexual. so a 24/7 on light will benefit in multiple areas. ph balance, macros from going sexual. macro growth 24/7. in my experiances a plant does not need a time of darkness in the juvinlile stage and will not mature untill a dark phase is givin with the exeption of the rundallis genus of plants. "stupid norway and the weird lighting schedual".

also on that note anylighting scedual of 12 hrs dark 12 hrs light is full fall effects lighting and will tell the plant to end its cycle. so the least i would go is 18 hrs day 6 hrs dark that is maximum darkness before a plant will start to mature and run its life cycle. allot of people in the horticulture run 20hrs day and 4 hrs dark for most juvinile plants in a nursery. some even run 24/7 for delicate strains and is more of a preference. i personally run 24/7 on my greenhouses and refugiums. just my 2 cents take it as u will.

Last edited:
What color is the bulb you have over it? Plants need a 6500k bulb not a 10000k or a normal 2700k.

24 hrs it is. I think my bulb I got was from lowes and it was a led something 6500k I believe. Natural daylight? I'll have to swing in there and check out what exactly I got.
It is a led bulb tho flood style

Back