Shy Hog or scared s#@$less?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
Wow Lee.. Your contributions here are daunting!

To my inquiry:
I recently introduced (2 days ago) a large squirl fish and large Red Diana Hogfish into my 210 gal FO agressive tank. The squirl fish has taken wonderfully to the tank and has quickly become a favorite of mine. The Hogfish on the other hand hides all day, and seemingly all night.

Both fish came from an aggressive tank and the Hog was reportedly very bold and active in its previous home. The original intent of my FO was to house the smaller "docile" species of Morray's.

Pre-existing tank inhabitants:
30" Snowflake Eel
18" Gymnothorax miliaris (Yellow Canary/Golden tail)
18" Fimbriated Moray (Yellow head)
8" Volitan Lion-fish
4" Blue Jaw Trigger

Other than hiding ALL the time, the hogfish does not have any visual stressors. Resperation is regular and paced. No sign of illness nor parasites.

Any thoughts?

Update: Apparently the Hog fish just needed some time to take in its new surroundings before venturing out. It is now exploring comfortably and eating all foods offered. Perhaps it realized those terrifying serpants weren't so bad ;)

Thanks for your consideration,

I like inquiries with a happy ending. :D

Some fish that have lived a while in captive life get to know their display tank very well AND all their tankmates. They know who to avoid, who to bully, and settle into their pecking order.

Moved to a new place, all that 'knowledge' has been stripped away from them. They will usually adjust unless there is a tankmate that won't let them.

Back