Sicce pump/skimmer question-

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lizardarm

Reptilian Disco Biscuit
between a rock and a hard place: (Bremerton, WA)
Yep, the carbon fibers are much tougher and stronger. They are cheaper because you go to a hobby shop and buy it and then cut it to size.

I agree on the carbon fiber, In fact im going to order two of them now. The ceramic shafts on my skimmer have grooves worn in them where the impellars ride. The rubber boot on one pump has also worn out and doesnt seat the shaft correctly any more. I use teflon tape wrapped around the end to make up the difference of the worn out boot.

Why would you be so quick to order a replacement? Do you plan on breaking yours? :p

If you open up your pump often to fiddle and don't do it correctly then you may need more than one : P

Why would you be so quick to order a replacement? Do you plan on breaking yours?
Yes I do.
My aquarium has been without a skimmer for nearly two weeks now. The FedEx website says it is in the truck for delivery today, so we'll see. That is the kind of part that I can see a potential problem with because I know I will not be able to resist swapping out between the pinwheel and meshwheel to see which one I like better. I'd rather not have to wait to order or otherwise procure (hobby shop) this thing if I do break it and be without a skimmer again. My water is looking a bit ugly right now.

For the one sicce cone you will need to use mesh as the pw isn't enough.

I do have a question though-
Shortened Receiver for Sicce PSK-2500 Pumps
The marinesolutions website says that you need this doohicky if you want to run a meshwheel and you don't have a machined pump. I am assuming that the Sicce that they send on these skimmers has a machined pump since the meshwheel impellar is included. Am I correct?
el linko-
http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/c...er-for-Sicce-PSK-2500-Pumps/product_info.html

YaaaY, cone skimmer touchdown!!!

I wouldnt worry too much about that little shaft cap, myself.
and actually you can run that pump without the shaft at all if you needed to, you'd just have to give it a spin to start it up.
and yeah, definately mesh wheel in that size skimmer body, as per luke's suggestion.

Thanks for the input guys. As of right now I'm having a problem with the meshwheel not starting. Tried blowing in it, spun the volute around 180 degrees, light tapping but nothing. going to swap the pinwheel deal back in to see if it works. Might need to trim the enkamat a bit.

The past few days I've only been home during the pre and post daylight hours (I love my work). I'm waiting for it to break in a bit and get real juicy. Scored a new (used) sump over the weekend and got it up and running (thanks again Brett). I'll get pics up here shortly.

Back