Sick fish, Bacterial maybe?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

eartaker

2 weeks ago my Niger Trigger stopped eating and has been in QT since. I thought it was a parasite so I treated with copper, and it did nothing. He is still just hanging out in the QT not eating that I can see. Now my yellow tang has a some reddish look to its fins and the top fin is kind of jagged when it used to be seamless. NOW today I came home and saw a bunch of crabs eating at something... wondering what it was I pulled them off of it and it was my 6 line wrasse. The coral shows no sines but the fish are slowly going down hill... I would like to treat the main tank because I do not have room to QT all of the fish. I read that if I do this I will recycle the tank but I can dose with stability and keep up with WC. The tank has been running for almost a year now.

What should I use to help this issue?

Salinity - 1.026
temp 78
alk 10
cal 450
ph 7.92
am 0
rite 0
rate 5-10

Agreed..need to use maracyn II and follow instructions on packet..ideally this should be administered in a qt tank

I was looking at that one.. I am trying malafix on the niger that is in QT and I know its not reef safe but would like to treat all fish. I wish I had room to QT all of them.

I would do a few big water changes.
You could probably treat each fish seperately. Pick the sickest one to treat first. Feed them all really good with vitamin soaked food. Try to keep them as healthy as possible to help fight the infection.

I am wondering, can you use maracynII in the DT? I have used it in my FW DT. Plants all looked great afterward too. I wonder if there would be any ill effects on corals! Anyone have info on this?

Last edited:
NC2WA, I took your advice... I pulled out the yellow tang and put him in QT as well and now using maracyn II. Another sad loss to the tank today but not due to illness... I had to get rid of the green brittle starfish Lurch - 21 from tip to tip, he ate 2 of my green chromis last night =/.

I shall... I feed the Yellow tang before I pulled him out so I knew he had eaten. At lest now they are not alone in the QT.

I took a nice chunk of shrimp and dipped it in some garlic extreme. I dangled it in front of him and he gobbled it down =] YAY!!

Took one step forward and then today I lost my Yellow Tang... I have had that guy (bubbles) for over a year. It was sad =/

Back