Sick Tang

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

goosewine

My lipstick tang only lasted 6 days. He seemed fine when I bought him, then he got whitespot. I started treatment but the next day he was covered in brown marks - almost powder like on his body. After hiding for half a day he died, just like that.:(

Hi GW If I recall, you have had tang problems before. What is your size tank and how much live rock? Ever do water testing and changes? What is your water flow? Where do you buy your fish? What was the treatment and for what disease? Hope we can help...

Tangs are pretty tempermental when it comes to diseases. Sometimes just the stress of moving from the store to your house is enough for them to get sick. It is always a good idea to quarantine them and treat them with copper even if they look healthy.

dennis

My tank is 350 litres, I have 6 fish - clown, damsel, yellow tang, cleaner wrasse, spotted box fish and mandarin. I do a 20% water change every week - the water testing is fine and has been for around 8 weeks now. Treatment used is OODINEX with the protein skimmer switched off.
I feed frozen brine shrimp, live shrimp and sea veggies on a clip - I do not have any live rock. Thanks Guys

I would recommend live rock to stabilize the water parameters and give the tang something to peck on. Be sure to quarantine new fish. Tangs are ich magnets. There is a good chance that is what he had and the other brown spots were opportunistic infection. Hypo-salinity is best for common ich including oodinium. Copper as a last resort. I've heard very little success with bottled "reef safe" treatments.

On a side note, your mandarin will most likely gradually starve to death in a live rock free tank. Even if it appears to feed on brine, it needs a lot of pods.

Sorry if any of this sounds harsh, no offence intended and best with all.

For more info on fish diseases, Leebca is VERY knowlegable and helpful.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

*moved to the Fish Discussion Forum*

Hypo-salinity is best for common ich including oodinium. Copper as a last resort.

Hyposalinity is a very useful treatment against against Cryptocaryon irritans, but it is not effective against Amyloodinium. (Marine Velvet/Amyloodinium ocellatum: A Discussion of this Disease and its Available Treatment Options)

While hyposalinity is a frequently recommended treatment for Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans, against Marine Velvet/Amyloodinium ocellatum it is unlikely to be useful. Amyloodinium ocellatum can survive a much wider range of environments than can Cryptocaryon irritans. A salinity of 16 ppt for 28 days is usually recommended to kill Cryptocaryon irritans (Noga, 2000), but Amyloodinium ocellatum has been found in salinities ranging from 3 to 45 ppt (Noga, 2000), with its optimum range of salinity for reproduction at 16.7 to 28.5 ppt (Univ. of Florida). Clearly, lowering the salinity is not going to be effective.

goosewine,

Your original post didn't ask any questions nor invited comment, so I wasn't sure what you expected from your post. Just in case you wanted input. . .

The diagnosis of a diseased deceased marine fish requires post mortem investigation. Since the original diagnosis wasn't complete, it's impossible to determine the cause of death from the post and information so far supplied, and not having the fish to examine.

However, in the future, new fish can be better acclimated to captive life when they are put through a quarantine process. :)

I'm very much concerned about your post:
Is live rock the same as reef plants? Do I need special testing kits and lighting?
This sounds like you might be in need of some basic marine aquarium information. This is best handled by reading. You can obtain a book on the subject or read several postings. I recommend this post to give you a detailed, bigger picture of starting a marine aquarium:
http://www.reefland.com/forum/saltwater-fish-only-aquariums/19326-setting-up-fowlr-aquarium.html

In the above reference, you'll find additional references on what is live rock, and test kits.

Back