Sigma 90MM macro for my D40 whats the trick

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

twilliard

What next?
Hey all.
I just got the Sigma 90MM macro for my D40 and I am having a hard time with color.
I know this is a broad question but what does a person need to do? Snap a 1000 shots till I get it right or is there something about our lighting that I need to adjust with my D40?
Or do I need to take a class on this LOL

Thanks!

You can go to your white balance settings and set a custom white balance. Not sure of the proper procedure with Nikon, however, it should consist of placing something pure white...or the gray card you can buy in a photo store, that is placed in your tank. I use a white styrofoam plate. I place it in the tank, about middle depth and middle front to back, and snap a photo of it. Try to frame the shot so that the plate takes up most of the picture. Then you'll use this photo to custom set your white balance. After this, your camera will adjust for the lighting in your tank.

If you have PS and shoot in RAW you can easily fix it. But seeing how much PS can cost you can make yourself a cheap expodisc. They usually cost somewhere around $100+.
http://users.skynet.be/van.hooveld/tips/expodisc.htm

I've always wanted to try one of the expodisc's but didn't want to shell out the money. Have you tried the DIY version? If so, where did you get the mask from? I don't know if they are all the same or not and I'd love to give it a shot.

I haven't tried it yet. But I know the Home Depot and Lowes near my house sells them. They are really cheap too. I think they are all made from the same material. You should call them to make sure they have some in stock before you go.

as for buttons for the nikon switch your wb to preset then set measure then the next picture you take will set your white balance, it will only set your wb if it flashes good, you'll have to take another picture if it says no gd. you're supposed to use a white card in the tank, but i don't always sometimes i just take a picture though i don't think it works as well

Back