Silicone for tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ciao

Reef Newbie (SOS PLEASE!)
Does anybody know if the silicone you use in the tank is special in any way? Is it the same stuff you can pick up at Home Depot or is it a special marine grade version that doesn't harm marine animals???

I think I might need to reapply some silicone to my tank and wanted to make sure the silicone I bought wasn't harmful to the corals/fish

thanks

I'm pretty sure they sell the stuff specifically for aquariums. It should be in the paint dept.

ya silicone is silicone. just dont get stuff like caulking with added silicone.

all your BASE are belong to us. what is this pork and beans stuff! LOL.

There are some silicones that have chemicals added that prevent mold and mildew. Those are not reef safe.
The strongest reef safe silicone is suppose to be RTV 103 and 108. One is clear and one is black.
Another one is GE type 1.

I have used the GE type 1 for my sump and haven't had any issues. I believe it says for windows and doors but there is also a type 2 and that contains mildew blockers.

GE actually has a contractual obligation, which keeps them from putting "aquarium" on their GE type 1. The reason is because those small squeeze tubes of "Aquarium sealant" that you buy in some pet stores, is also made by GE, but packaged and sold by some other company. They were able to right the contract in a way that GE isn't able to word the GE1 as aquarium safe. It's the exact same stuff.

As mentioned above, this is 100% silicon under their lable, rather costly!

Not really Scoot. I forgot where I got mines and I paid $26 dollars if I remember right for 2 10oz. tubes shipped. I think it was Petsmart now that i think about it they only sell the 10oz. tube online. So it isn't rather costly to have a piece of mind that it is strictly used for aquarium build. Think of all the other rather costly things we get for our system and you want to skimp out on silicone?

That isn't skimping out, 100% silicone is 100% silicone regardless how much you pay for it.
Peace of mind though is another story, if you believe that then it is worth it!
;)

That isn't skimping out, 100% silicone is 100% silicone regardless how much you pay for it.
Peace of mind though is another story, if you believe that then it is worth it!
;)

I hear ya. The silicone folks reccomended to me all said 100% silicone at HD or Lowes. Good thing I only used it for my sump because it turned an ugly yellow color. That is why I said that you can't go wrong with the AGA silicone.

LOL I wonder what they used before AGA had their own silisones, actually I think they get theirs either from GE or Dow.
Another thing GE & Dow never used Inhibitors long ago, so now they actually mislable the products because 100% is just that, no extras!

I used GE silicone over three years ago and it is still clear as the day I put my sump together. As said before 100% means just that!! Pure silicone!!

Guys I did use the GE1 silicone for my sump and it said 100% silicone. I might have just bought one that was mislabled.

Back