Silly bulkhead question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JeffGil

Custom User Title
OK, here's what may be a silly question, but I want to be sure before I ruin something.

I'm replacing the bulkhead on my overflow (got it without one installed) and wondering if I need to use silicone to seal it on top of the seal that comes with it or super glue it to make sure it never leaks? If you're supposed to glue it on permanently, how was the one removed from the overflow I got?!

Seems like I'd like to have the option to remove the bulkhead at some point in the future if I need to for some reason, but from some others that I've seen it looks like they're glued on.

Thanks,

~Jeff

OK nevermind, found an answer:

"Now wrap the threads of the male bushing with plumbing tape and then screw the female bushing on. Its best not to use PVC glue because this joint could never be undone and its not necessary. The gasket and the plubming tape will ensure that the joint is water tight. You will need to use glue to fasten the PVC pipes to the bushings because these are slip-type joints and not threaded."

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_bulkheads.php

Actually, the recommendation for plumbing tape is wrong as well. The gasket on the wet side of the bulkhead is what prevents leaks. The plumbing tape would do nothing positive.

I agree, Teflon tape not needed. some people put silicone on the outside and tighten the bulkhead once the silicone has dried. this prevents damage to glass but not really necessary.

You only need tape if you are putting a piece of pvc, (fitting) onto the outside of the bulkhead; other than that it will not help. The rubber gasket that comes with the bulkhead will work just fine...

You only need tape if you are putting a piece of pvc, (fitting) onto the outside of the bulkhead; other than that it will not help. The rubber gasket that comes with the bulkhead will work just fine...

OK, cool thanks all. I'll plumber tape the pipe heading down to the sump. I screwed in the bulkhead pretty tight and I doubt anything will be leaking from there any time soon (famous last words right).

I screwed in the bulkhead pretty tight and I doubt anything will be leaking from there any time soon (famous last words right).

The nut on the bulkhead should be hand tight, maybe a 1/4 turn more but over tighten & it will cut the gasket & eventually leak.

Back