Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

renoreefer

need help in regards to sick tank set up

1. what size?
2. filter?
3. light?
4. skimmer or not?

my six line wrasse has a cloudy eye so I need to do something ASAP
just read a bit on the web about epson salt to reverse this, anybody know??

ANY THOUGHTS

thanks for your help,

Hi Lee. Hope I don't seem to be barging in here...but I will post my thoughts:

IMO, here would be my list for a cheap, working QT tank:

• 10G-20G AGA (prefer regular 10G, or 20G Long)
  • AquaClear 20/MINI HOB filter (I trust this brand made by Hagen)
  • 75-100W Visi-Therm Stealth Heater (the lack of an indicator light works to our favor, and doesn't spook fish)
  • ABS/PVC fittings, preferably black with holes ranging from 2"-5" depending on size of fish..(L-bows, 45 degree L-bows, from Large to XL)
  • Air pump (any small air pump), valve to control air, and a small airstone (this is to be left running in a corner, at a slooower bubble rate)
  • Black satin/flat enamel paint (Stay away from Gloss)-to paint the three sides of the tank; a cheaper way is to use newspaper, any neutral color
  • Associated fish medicines as mentioned by Lee

Best,
Ilham

Last edited:
azgard1 has provided the best reference to answer most of your questions, but just to be brief:
1. what size?
The size that comfortably will hold the size fish you want to quarantine. Usually about 5 gallons per inch of fish. See post for details.

2. filter?
Cheap corner sponge filter. It not is a biological filter, but it uses air to run and thus moves the water slowly. You want no high power pumps or intake tubes around.

3. light?
Very little. Enough for the fish to see the food, yet not so bright as to intimidate the fish. When medicating the fish, the light should be very low or kept off on some occasions.

4. skimmer or not?
No. Most of the time, if medication or treatment is necessary, a skimmer defeats the purpose. You can run some activated carbon until you need to treat. Otherwise organics are controlled by an increased water exchange regime, and keeping the QT clean.​

Good luck! :)

Back