siphon back

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Terry, You need to have a siphon break. Drill a 1/8" hole in the return plumbing just below the water line in the display. When the return pump is off then the water level will siphon back to the level of the hole and stop. Make sure you keep the hole cleaned out regularly. Also make sure you check to have enough room in the sump for the amount of water that does flow back.
Hope to see some tank pics.
Scott

I agree with Scott. That's the way I do mine. Infact, sometimes I put more than one hole:)

Last edited:
I just use Loc-Line inside the main tank, I make a high arch then just barely let the outlet back under the water. I find this breaks the siphon very quickly & the hole is as large as the outlet:D
The only bad thing is you make sure to leave it barely in the water, Loc-line can easily be bumped or moved but for the most part it works well.

Put two holes in it that way if one gets plugged the other will still break the siphon. Also a little side note: when the pump turns back on you will get some spray out the hole untill the water covers the hole, so I drill my holes at a downward angle and pointed in a direction that wont spray water all over

... and whatever you do, never trust a check valve.

Regularly cleaning a small hole drilled in the return is easy to do, but it is much too easy to put off cleaning a check valve.

Back