Skimmer advice on a 75g...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zenn

Hey guys, I'm looking into keeping SPS and upgrading from my Remora skimmer to a bigger one. While the Remora is good, I think it's a bit underpowered for my tank espcially considering i'm going to start keeping SPS.

I'm limited on the size of Fuge I can have because of space restraints. So because of that, I need to do some aggressive skimming without breaking the piggy bank (deltec).

I've heard good things about Octopus skimmers. Can those that know tell me which one they're recommend...or if there's another skimmer they think would do well?

Thanks eveyrone!

I have an ASM G3 on my 75 and I love it. It is very easy to dial in and requires minimal tinkering. Pulls out some nasty skimmate too.

sounds like you are stuck with a hang on. I think you are going to be very limited if that is the case. you might even need a custom skimmer.

sounds like you are stuck with a hang on. I think you are going to be very limited if that is the case. you might even need a custom skimmer.

not really. I've got a 30g sump underneath the tank. I have room for a bigger skimmer...just not a big refugium.

So what about these octopus skimmers? Anybody vouch for them?

Also, what's a recirc skimmer?

i bought an asm g2 today. I will have to make some adjustments to my sump to accomodate it's footprint...but it's nothing that would take me more than an hour or two.

My RO/DI auto top off system will have to change though. I'm currently using half of my sump to hold approx. 15g of RO/DI water to use for top offs. It has a JBJ auto top off controller running it. In order to accomodate the ASM G2, i'll have to expand the return compartment in the sump and shorten the RO/DI top off reservoir. The new reservoir will probably only hold 10 gallons but i think it'll still be able to cover 5-7 days (which is what i need since i'm gone all the time). I wish I had a top off system that didn't require a reservoir of top off water. Then I could use the current reservoir for a big fuge.

Back