Skimmer battle....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blk822822

It's only money, RIGHT?
Well I was running an old reef octopus skimmer on my 34gal tank and it was rated back in the day for probly 150gal tank. But I got it for a steal and had to shoehorn it into the sump. Now I have a 100 gal tank and I was running it on that tank, it seemed to do ok but I wanted a better skimmer. I did a trade and got a reefoctopus NWB150 with the pinwheel. So I pulled the old skimmer and installed the newer one. New one didn't seem to be doing much and I had to run it really wet. So I pulled it and did some swapping of the impellers. The pinwheel seemed to do better in the old skimmer and the old style pin paddle style impeller I had modded with some fishing line , kinda a hybread mesh woven around the paddels. Wish I ahd tanken a pic of the impellers.

So anyways I cleaned both skimmers really well and put them both in my sump to compare the difference. After 2 full days the newer skimmer seems to be pulling more crude and dryer( I had to raise the water level to get it to run dryer). So I just took a pick of the two running and will check on them again tomorrow.

Old skimmer

skimmertest001.jpg

Newer skimmer

skimmertest002.jpg

Sideby side

skimmertest003.jpg

Is it possible to test them individually? I see the new Skimmer getting all the DT water before the second one has a chance. I think the old one is doing great pulling out what the new one missed.

you want the pinwheel impeller, not the radial needlewheel style on the older ones.
and if your going to mod it.. dont even bother unless you have enkamat mesh.
and then, even more importantly, you want to mod the venturi on the older skimmer.
dont mess with the new venturi, its heads and tails above the one on your old crapper.
all in all, both skimmers alone arent enough for a 150 imo...
if it was me, i'd sell them both and get something else.

Last edited:
oh sorry, a 100g tank..
not as bad, but still totally underpowered.

as a general rule of thumb,
i prescribe 600-700lph of air injection for every 100g of display tank.

if thats the new NWB 150, then it gets like 420lph.

Reef Octopus NWB-150 Pinwheel In Sump Skimmer | CoralVue

i have a larger, more powerful cone skimmer on my 20g then that nwb-150,
and could still use a little more power.

Last edited:
i will be putting 3 skimmers on my 20g build 2 tunze slim skims and 1 tunze comline doc 9004 the 1 just released finally got it after waiting 4 mos.\ and 4 cpr nano reactors for biopellots,rowa,phosban,gfo. this is all for a frag tank.

Last edited:
oh sorry, a 100g tank..
not as bad, but still totally underpowered.

as a general rule of thumb,
i prescribe 600-700lph of air injection for every 100g of display tank.

if thats the new NWB 150, then it gets like 420lph.

Reef Octopus NWB-150 Pinwheel In Sump Skimmer | CoralVue

i have a larger, more powerful cone skimmer on my 20g then that nwb-150,
and could still use a little more power.

Yea it's the newer one. I was going to mesh mod them both but dont have the mesh and really dont think it's worth $10 a square foot, like I see it for on line. I think the hardware store down the road may have it for pond filters. And even if I sold both of these skimmers I couldn't get a good enough one to replace them.

i will be putting 3 skimmers on my 20g build 2 tunze slim skims and 1 tunze comline doc 9004 the 1 just released finally got it after waiting 4 mos.\ and 4 cpr nano reactors for biopellots,rowa,phosban,gfo. this is all for a frag tank.

Whaaaaa

Haha crazy man. Cleanliness
I need a newer skimmer myself.

Back