Skimmer For 180g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tdgates10

Designer Reef
I'm skimmer shopping for my 180g tank. Total volume is about 250g. What would everyone agree on for a bad a$$ skimmer. And the best bang for my buck? Thanks!

BM 250, you won't believe how well this skimmer works. I have a BM 160 for my 120g, it really does a great job.

Does it need a pump to run it or does it sit in sump?
I have about 700 to 900 gph of my current pump that I'm just back washing into the sump cuz it's too much flow for my display. I wanted to try and use that because I'm already paying for the power.

Has anyone used the Aqua C skimmers? I have been using the remora on my 50g and it works pretty good. They seem like a good skimmer line, but never really heard comments about the larger ones.

A gx4 is waay underpowered for a 250g water volume. The msx 250 would work well for you as it is the best bang for the buck out there imo. A reeflo 200, bm250, das ex3, those would all be good candidates. I'd pass on the aquac line. The remora is by far the worst hot skimmer out there imo. I've pry used over 20 and it was the worst value and performer out there.

All those are great skimmers.
The msx 250 at about $540 is great if you can get one. I've been waiting a couple weeks now, for one and maybe waiting another 3-4 weeks.
The reefflo is also great at about $850, the das at $700 and the bm250 at about $900.

luke33,,you've been experimenting with a couple others, would add those to this list?

Back