Skimmer help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LarryB

About a month ago I bought a used Remora skimmer. For the first couple weeks its was great but now it hardly produces any skimmate at all. The powerhead is working fine, is there any other adjustment or parts that may need to be replaced? Do they eventually wear out? I have no idea how old it is.

It's possible it cleaned the tank to the best of it's ability, and now there isn't enough waste to create skimmate. Is there still plenty of air/water contact?

Clayton

Is the air intake clean? Do you have lots of bubbles, anything else you notice different about it?

there still seems to be a lot of bubbles. I doubt the tank is cleaned, I have a deep sand bed and I over feed like crazy. But maybe it is. All the inhabitants look happy, specs are fine.

Have you used any additives lately? Feed something different? Clean it out recently?

You should have gotten a small brush with the skimmer to clean the injector. If you take the lid off the skimmer you will see a small white plastic screw on top of the injector. Take that screw out and push the brush through the hole a few times. On occasion the injector can get clogged. If you didn't get the brush you can contact Aqua-C. They will get you one cheap if not free.

Ok, thanks for the input, I do have a brush that I got for something else that will work.

Back