skimmer ID please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

so, you say this was purchased used, but hasnt been used??
it looks like a really old model reef devil, but it could be a 600 that is a few years old as well.

if the skimmer is 24" or slightly taller, than im going to recant my first guess of an older reef devil and say it's a 600, upon closer inspection,
here's the etss page for the 600:
ETSS 600

It's not the Reef Devil. Kinda strange, it looks just like the 600 but the flanges are square not round. It very well could be from the first production before it got popular. Very good skimmer btw.

actually the first reef devils were rectangular bodies, not round, and they had square flanges just as you see on this one,
hence why it is difficult to tell the difference between the 2, but as I said, height should give you the exact model,
as the reef devil's were never 24" tall, they were like 21-22".
....the skimmer is a medium performer, nothing to write home about comparatively to newer skimmer designs,
and they consume about 3 times more power than modern skimmers that are more powerful.
even this $195 skimmer will kick it's butt:
SWC150 BMK

BUT, when tuned properly, the ETSS downdraft skimmers can be pretty decent. they are at least built like tanks... :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I never cared for there mixing box design. No baffles or anything to concentrate the bubbles in. I was not aware of the design of the first reef devils.

You have to keep in mind that every skimmer I see I look at how upgradable it can be. The ETSS can be changed into many different methods and is one of my favorites for parts. I agree though that it is not the most energy efficient skimmer out there :D

you could easily mod an etss with a modded beckett injector like on your skimmer frankie and i bet it would kick the snot out of the original etss injector :)
especially if you overpowered it with a larger pump in conjunction with the diamond bioballs, you would be skimming pretty gud!
OR... does the modded beckett not perform as well overdriven?? it's been years since i went though the old RC thread.
I kno KZ got a substantial increase from their newer injector, but it used less power than a normal beckett. I just cant remember if it was to just save power or if it was because it actually performed better with less power/a smaller pump.
but either overpowered or not, that injector would be a serious upgrade compared to the etss injector(which is just a reducer made from plumbing parts available from any home despot/lowes).
a normal beckett injector needs 1200-2000gph pump(depending upon pressure and head) to acheive about 40 scfh of air injection.

Last edited:
Yeah, basically KZ just shrunk the air holes like I did in my mod. I think there's may be a bit shorter also but that doesn't do much but save sump space. I'm trying the old beckett modified. If it does not work as good as I am hoping I am going to change up to the KZ beckett.

I am sure that ETSS can also be mod up with a needle wheel pump. Nothing wrong with a needle wheel pump or mesh mod imo. I just prefer the mechanic's of the beckett and feel there was not enough thought put into the idea. KZ has taken that to a new level so they get my admiration for sure..

Back