skimmer mod...am I nuts???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reedman

So I have an Octopus DNW200 recirculating skimmer (with a modified quiet one 3000 pump(and I am thinking of cutting a hole in the bottom of it to mount the pump inside much like bubble king does on their mini's (the 180 being the closest in comparison). This would allow me to eliminate all the fittings on the pump (improved performance with reduced power) and allow for easier maintenance on the main chamber. Another bonus would be the ability to add a bubble plate to reduce turbulence in the reaction chamber. Since this is an in sump application I don't need a water tight seal. This seems like a fairly straight forward mod (famous last words I know) with some real benefits.

I wanted to solicit inputs on this before I go cutting the bottom out for the mod.

Thanks,
-Reed

I'd have to see it in person to give you my opinion. Do you need any tools to complete the job? If all else fails, you/we can always glue a new bottom on if the mod doesnt work like you intended.

I am interested to see how you will make the bubble plate. I have thought about making one for my Reef Octopus. Especially since I have the black plate inside for the cone which just lifts right out.

I'd have to see it in person to give you my opinion. Do you need any tools to complete the job? If all else fails, you/we can always glue a new bottom on if the mod doesnt work like you intended.

Duane, I think I am good on the tools....thinking I just need to use a router and dremel (that will fix anything I think) and some glue. Thanks though. and the backup plan is spot on...just glue the bottom back on.

I am interested to see how you will make the bubble plate. I have thought about making one for my Reef Octopus. Especially since I have the black plate inside for the cone which just lifts right out.

I'll try to take some pics along the way, though I am very bad about this.

Well, there is no looking back now. I have cut the bottom out of the skimmer. That went well so I am encouraged. Now I need to cut the elbow off the outlet so I have room to mount the pump inside as well as the bubble plate. Will probably work on the plate tomorrow after copious amounts of turkey and beer.

will do on the count Charlie. 10 and 10 so far. I'll try on the pics. I kind of work when I can with the little one demanding my time so pics are few and far between in favor of actually getting the work done. I'll try though

OK, here's a few pics so far. Mainly just removal of parts to allow the mod. I've removed the bottom of the skimmer and the elbow for the outlet as it was going to be in the way.

I've also included a few pics of how I expect the pump to sit inside the skimmer. I'm planning to try it as a recirc just like it is now, but I can also just re-open one of the holes and make it a standard skimmer real easily (making it just like a bubble king mini minus the red dragon pump of course).

Next steps are to make a new bottom plate and add some nylon bolts with wing nuts to make removal easy for maintenance. Also need to mount the pump and create a means to pass the venturi line from the outside to the inside. Also need to fabricate the bubble plate. I'll try to keep taking pics to document this. The real test will be after it is all done though. All the in between work would be academic if it doesn't perform.

Alright, a little more done. Got the stand for the pump built as well as the pieces for the bubble plate cut and starting the assembly. Here's a few pics of the pump & stand with a strap over the top of it to hold it in place. There are rubber feet on the pump to isolate vibration and I will include some kind of rubber between the pump and the strap to ensure no unnecessary vibration noise.

The bubble plate pieces are all cut and I have glued the end in place. I will then use a torch to bend the ring around the plates and glue as I go. not sure how well this will work, but it is much more cost efficient that trying to find a 3" ring of acrylic tubing that is 7" in diameter. Time will tell. Truth is it doesn't have to be perfect as it just needs to limit turbulence in the air, not be air tight or win any beauty contests.

More to come.....

right on dude, glad you decided to go for it...

what was the size on that neck again??
also, i think you can just email john warner from WM directly and ask if he'll sell you the red demon pinwheel impeller for it. hell, maybe even a volute/venturi as well if you wind up making an order from them.
im sure it's better than that hand made modded volute/venturi i did what, 2 years ago??... :)

oh and btw, from that first pic you posted there before me, the airline looks like it has come unglued and has come down into the inlet of the pump, it's meant to be flush with the inside of the inlet, behind the venturi reducer.

...unless of coarse it works better that way, then that's how i meant to do it...:razz:

oh and btw, from that first pic you posted there before me, the airline looks like it has come unglued and has come down into the inlet of the pump, it's meant to be flush with the inside of the inlet, behind the venturi reducer.

...unless of coarse it works better that way, then that's how i meant to do it...:razz:

Yeah.....the glue broke loose long ago. I think I adjusted it until I got the best bubble production, but then again...who knows. I'll be playing with it again to see how well I can tune it. These things are worse than tuning dual carbs on an old car.

I'll get back to you on the neck size, but I think it's 4". Need to go down to the dungeon to measure.

right on dude, glad you decided to go for it...

what was the size on that neck again??
also, i think you can just email john warner from WM directly and ask if he'll sell you the red demon pinwheel impeller for it. hell, maybe even a volute/venturi as well if you wind up making an order from them.
im sure it's better than that hand made modded volute/venturi i did what, 2 years ago??... :)

I'm glad I did too. I am working thru the project a little at a time. We'll see how it works out.

The neck is actually 3" (bummer as I thought it was 4"...but still good)

I'll have to shoot an email off to John. Hopefully he can help me out with the needlewheel. If not I can just keep doing the mesh....just need to check a little more often to ensure it is still attached properly. As far as the volute/venturi too...at that point I should probably just buy the sicci pump and get it over with. They're like $125 or so and the pin wheel itself is usually $40. Volute is probably another $25.....I'm halfway there at that point. We'll see. I actually have been really happy with the pump the way it is.....just need to monitor the meshwheel.

Back