Skimmer overflowing rapidly after water changes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wchill

Octopi
My new AquaMaxx HOB1 is working very well on my 50 gal. However, every time I do a water change the collection cup fills rapidly with water and foam for a day or two beforte it settles down. During this time it will even over take the over flow and spill out of the lid (Foam). If I pinch off the yellow air tube it slows it down. After a few days it settles down and starts working again. Whats up? Am I using to large of pump for my 50 gal (actual <40 gal with all the rock)? Why always after a water change??

You changed the surface tension by doing a water change. Pretty much normal for alot of skimmers.

Don

And be sure that the container that you are using to mix up your salt and any other equipment you might clean or switch out at the time of water changes has no residue in it.
I had an issue a while back like this, and realized I was washing out my water change tank and not rinsing it thoroughly enough. ergo residual soap.
And more recently, didn't get all the residue rinsed out of a filter sock after washing and the skimmer blew it's top and caused me to do more water changes :p

Just throwing out some ideas.
Good luck,
Casey

Back