Skimmer-Pump question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefgirl78

Hi all,

1) So I have a 120 gal. reef. I have a WMD30RXT for the sump and for the skimmer I have a ETSS 600 skimmer and a WMD30RXT that the head died on, so I considered changing out to a new skimmer entirely since I have to buy a new pump. I debated and now are possibly considering keeping it. What would be a great VERY quiet pump for it, and also keeping low watts? IWAKI, Blueline or Dolphin/Ampmaster, and what models. I know with IWAKI I'm going to have a not so quiet pump going from a 30 to a 40RLT with fans that are going to be built in to the 40, and that worries me with noise. I want NO noise.

I was told from Manufacturer to get a MD40RLT Iwaki type. So whatever brand I have to keep close to that spec. around 790GPH and max length can not be over 12.12" as that was the old IWAKI that broke down. YES the head broke.

2) Also to add to the debate- If I were to go with a insump pump/skimmer combo for under 400$ what would it be? That is if I were to get rid of the ETSS 600 entirely. I know Euro Reef is still god out there but what is cheaper and still a good all around skimmer, and LOW WATTS, and QUIET.

Thanks in advance....
Alison

if i am not mistaken...the iwaki that you had was for return and/or circulation only...

the etss' require a pressure rated pump...like the iwaki rlt's you mentioned.

etss' are like beckett skimmers. they require an energy hog of a pump. i run an aerofoamer 830 driven by an iwaki 70rlt...not cheap on electricity fer shure!!!

what i found was that i switched from an iwaki 55rlt to the 70rlt and found a HUGE jump in skimmer performance. with the 55rlt i was getting about a gallon of skimmate per week. with the 70rlt...i can easily and i mean easily pull out 2 gallons per day!!!

i had an etss a LONG time ago...and dont take my word on it...but the 40rlt would be good but a 55rlt may make it smoke!!! which is what etss recommends:
http://www.superskimmer.com/Display Tank ETSS.htm

i will admit...an iwaki is on the noisy side. i have a panworld equivalent to the 55rlt and it is much quieter!!!

Ya I found out that's probably why that pump went out was because it was a wet dry return and not pressure pump. I don't think the guy that sold the tank to me knew much about that stuff. It was a killer deal though for sure on all the stuff I got. I try not to buy new reef setup stuff as it is so overpriced new. I did get a rio to power the ETSS and it works great and pulls the equivalent of a 40RLT and about the same noise as the IWAKI that I have for the sump. Works great and can't beat 60$ and it only pulls about 45watts verses over 100 for an iwaki. My local fish store guy told me about that trick. It works great too. Pulls a gal a week. I prefer it to not pull anymore anyways as I don't have a darn RO setup yet, so I go to Albertson's practically every other day. SICK OF THAT! I'm buying a RO setup next month for sure to save on hastle and money.

Thanks for your response! I'm surprised people don't seem to answer many questions here.

Reefgirl, did you decide to change or to keep your ETSS 600 and pump?

I am using a Rio3100 on my ETSS Evolution 500. It has become noisy after a couple days' use, after initially seeming quiet. I'm pretty frustrated trying to find a quiet pump for this skimmer. Have you learned anything more or made a final determination on yours?

Jan

Reefgirl, it sounds like you're open to using a internal pump like the Rio for your skimmer. For reliability issues I've experienced on several Rio 2100's and 2500's i'll never use one again.

The Iwaki 40RLT/RLXT's are much noisier model, because of the fan used to cool the motor. Panworld's the same thing, I've got two of those as well. Dolphin isn't pressure rated for skimmers, and really anything external that's pressure rated is going to have more db's than no-pressure rated.

So, why not use a tried and true mag 7 (700 gal/hr & 70 watts $50) or 9.5 (950 gal/hr & 93 watts $70) instead? You can use it internally or externally (although much better flow internally), and dial it back if need be.

-David

A Rio on an etss is no where near a pressure rated iwaki or blue line. The GPH may be similar, but you need a pressure rated for an etss. Other than the hum with having a good pressure rated, external pump, the only other noise you should hear is the sucking sound of a lot of air running though the pump.

I've used etss since they've come out... you need a pressure rated to get the performance out of an etss. The only exceptions are the ReefDevils, I can not speak about the evolution counter-current models though......

Just curious, how loud are Iwaki 70 RLT pumps? I am considering using them for my main return and on my closed loops setup for my new tank that is being built.

Kirk

Don,

If these pumps are to be kept in a garage, do you think I would be able to hear them on the other side of a wall (i.e., me standing in the house) ??

Don,

If these pumps are to be kept in a garage, do you think I would be able to hear them on the other side of a wall (i.e., me standing in the house) ??

I would say you probably could'nt. There really is alot of better choices for return pumps IMO.

Don

Don,

my iwaki 70rlt that drives my skimmer is located in the garage and i do not hear any of my equipment.

i personally would not use a pressure rated pump if you do not need a lot of head pressure. pressure rated pumps are usually louder, required more frequent service (mine anyway) and use a lot more electricity to move the same amount of water.

sequence, ampmaster even a large eheim submersible (for smaller tanks) is a great choice for a return.

Back