Skimmer Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bsemantic

I am new to SW and finally purchased a skimmer as I am finally adding fish. It's been up an running for three days and absolutely nothing is collecting in the cup. Is this normal, like a break in period, or is it faulty skimmer? It's a Sea Clone.

Usually all skimmers have a break in period. Some are a few days like mine was, and then some are a few weeks. Did you have fish in the tank before you added the skimmer or was the skimmer just added to a newly setup tank without any bio-load. Also, are you getting any sort of foam at all and about how high up the cylinder/body would you say the water/foam/bubbles are at?

See if you can take it back. Seaclones are one of the poor skimmers. They can be modified and made to work OK, but it would be better to put the money towards a good skimmer. Sorry to be the bad news guy.

Sorry to be the bad news guy.

LOL...That's not being the bad news guy! Bsemantic, since you are new (and if you didn't know) Tom builds skimmers for a living and lives is a car...So that should tell you something about his advice(LOL...JUST KIDDING TOM!) No, but he does build skimmers for a living and it is a safe bet to trust his opinion. If you look through a few threads (especially the one with Todd's "disturbedreefers" cube ) you'll see what I am talking about. Tom definately knows what he is talking about. I've never had a seaclone, but I know that Petsmart sells them and in all honesty, I don't think anything they sell really is of much use when it comes to the marine hobby on a higher scale...Just my opinion.

Back