skimmer question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jaygalindo

Mariners Fanatic
So I have been running my 50b as a bare bottom tank for the last month or so. I decided i didn't like the look so I added sand last night. My skimmer went crazy! I literally could not control it from overflowing. I am assuming that this is from the nutrients from sand that wasn't removed when I rinsed the sand. I also I assume that when the skimmer has skimmed the tank clean again it will go back to normal. I have the skimmer sitting in 8" of water but I had to raise the skimmer about 3" last night just to get control of the overflowing isssue. So a confirmation on this or any other feedback would be great. Oh and the skimmer is a SWC 160 if that helps!

So I have been running my 50b as a bare bottom tank for the last month or so. I decided i didn't like the look so I added sand last night. My skimmer went crazy! I literally could not control it from overflowing. I am assuming that this is from the nutrients from sand that wasn't removed when I rinsed the sand. I also I assume that when the skimmer has skimmed the tank clean again it will go back to normal. I have the skimmer sitting in 8" of water but I had to raise the skimmer about 3" last night just to get control of the overflowing isssue. So a confirmation on this or any other feedback would be great. Oh and the skimmer is a SWC 160 if that helps!

you are correct.. it will go back to normal when done removing the excess nutrient.
imo, you should just let the skimmer skim out all the crap....have some saltwater handy to replace what the skimmer will take out.
also, change out or add some fresh GAC, that will help too.

I agree with skimmies post let it skim it all out turning it off for it to settle would be the opposite of what the skimmer is supposed to do. remove nutrients. let it run and add fresh salt water as it depletes

I have been maturing a new LRWF system for almost one year. keeping some soft corrals, zoanthids, a few mushroom anenomes and a few fish. All has been pretty healthy. Tank is very balanced and not requiring many water changes to keep nitratesin control. However. lately I see a lot of scum forming on surface. Is it time for a protien skimmer??

your system would definately benifit from a skimmer, tell me the tank size and i'll make a recommendation.
also, typically your style of tank is reffered to as "FOWLR"
fish only with live rock. :)

I have been maturing a new LRWF system for almost one year. keeping some soft corrals, zoanthids, a few mushroom anenomes and a few fish. All has been pretty healthy. Tank is very balanced and not requiring many water changes to keep nitratesin control. However. lately I see a lot of scum forming on surface. Is it time for a protien skimmer??

do you have a sump??
if no, i would STRONGLY suggest you look into getting an inexpensive glass tank or rubbermaid container as one,
and go with an in-sump skimmer as opposed to a hob skimmer.

but for a 55g, i would look at the SWC 160 cone, the SWC bmk 150,
for HOB skimmers i would look at the aquamaxx hob 1, SWC bh100-f.

Back