Skimmer Question?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NanaReefer

Is it possible for the return flow to interfere with my skimmers performance? I took the sock off last night, which controlled the bubbles big time. My skimmer was producing great foam and a light colored nog.
Today no foam at all from the skimmer?

If there is too much turbulence with air bubbles around the skimmer pump, then I was say yes.

Well that's it then. Looks like I'm stuck using the sock until I figure something else out. Or get around to shorting my pipe.

Another thing I should have pointed out is my skimmer ( and most I suspect) work in cycles. It will run good for a while then die back and then back the other way.
Plus when you actually put your hands in the tank it will affect skimmer performance because of the natural oils in your skin, or stuff like hand lotion.

Miss anal here! I wear gloves at all times :) Lol the SW just tears up my fingers. But your right-again. I have noticed the nog comes & goes. Plus my tank isn't yet that dirty. I'll rest easy now.

Instead of using a sock you can DIY a bubble trap for your overflow pipe to help contain the micro bubbles and also reduce the turbulence from it. I've used oversized PVC and have builtt more complex ones from acrylic

Back