Skimmer Selection 240g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SeattleIT

Hello all,
I have recently purchased a 240g tank 96"x24"x24". I am building a 90g sump and a 90g fuge. I want to decide what skimmer I need for this system I figure I will have about 400g of system water. I am looking at the EuroReef CS12-3 the AASM G6 and the MRC MR-4. I like Beckett and Needle wheel skimmers only because I have or have friends with both and have been impressed with both. I am looking for opinions, info or experience on these or any other skimmers in this size range for the tank. Also does anyone have any idea what kind of running height water must be for these skimmers are 3-4' so I hope water height doesn’t have to be 3 feet that might be hard to pull off. You guys helped me pick the ASM G2 I use on my 120g currently and I have been happy with it however this is a big tank and while I have the time I want to consider all of my options. So anything you can tell me would be helpful. Another note the sump fuge skimmer and pumps will be in my basement so size inst much of a factor but as with most people price is always a consideration.
Thanks in advance for any info you can supply.

my 2 cents. I did some research before buying an Aqua-c ev-240. The euroreef and asm are great products. They produce oustanding bubbles. The amout of water they process is a little limited which results in a large size when you get into the bigger requirements. While you can't go wrong using one, the aqua-c offers a little more brute force for skimming in a smaller package. On a large system you can increase the pump size above current reccomendations to get more performance out of them. One thing to consider with any skimmer - there is a balance between the amount of contact time and the voulume of water processed. Give aqua-c a call and talk to Jason. Beckett type systems typically offer a more skimming capability but will require more pump capacity, the aqua-c is similar in design to the beckett but I think a little less demanding in pump capacity. The aqua-c produces about 6 ft of head pressure, i'm not sure about the beckett. I think the euro-reef and aqua-c sizing are reasonable, the asm is a great product for the price but use the euro-reef sizing guidlines

you could always bug mike for advice on makin' your own "mojo special" :)
also, the skimmer that was made in the work shop here kick's butt, or look at the new dual beckett skimmers being made by i.a.p. you can see them at shark reef.

Last edited:
I had to just make the same decision I was looking at the EuroReef CS12-RC and the ASM-G6, my skimmer need to be able to run out of the sump and in talking to ASM they told me that particular skimmer had to be run in the sump. so I look at EuroReef and almost bought that particular skimmer until I found MRC MR-4R and thought that was the best of both worlds I like the Beckett and it is also recirculating skimmer to. it was less expensive than the euroreef that was a plus.

I have been very pleased with my MRC skimmer, Andy at mrc was very good to work with the fast responses to e-mails, I ordered the skimmer on Sunday and it was sent out Wednesday and on my doorstep Friday. customer service has been excellent in the quality of the workmanship has been excellent.

MyReefCreations do awesome skimmers Chad... just look at Travis'.

Hopefully, Mike will jump in here, and perhaps give you some "Food for thought" about his Air-Stone skimmer. After seeing his at the BBQ last month... I think if it was me in your situation I would seriously looking into this type of skimmer.

Darnit... was hoping to learn sumptin here myself about the airstone skimmers, once Mike noticed your thread Chad. *pout* Perhaps another bump may help.

Back