SKIMMER Spray Bar???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Peppie

Is there any advantage to having a circular spray bar to disperse the water going into an air driven skimmer????
Or am I over thinking again???

Hi,
That's how things are made....thinking:) You could mount a rotating spray bar under the diffuser plate to keep air from being trap. You could also install one on top of plate to create a vortex in your skimmer what that would do, help or hurt don't know never tried it.
One of my design patents is a machined piece that allows rotation with little to no friction, resists ware and will work at any angle.
All done by thinking:)

This will be a counter current skimmer, so water will enter at the top of the mixing chamber and exit at the bottom. I was thinking of using some black tubing shaped to the diam of the tube an cut slits in it to direct the water towards the center of the mixing chamber.
It will have a 500gph pump feeding the skimmer.

Some here will say I think to much into my builds. LOL

I can tell you that i have had some ideas that crash and burn, but there is the other side too:) Give it a try and let us know what happen then if needed another member may know something that will help you make it do what your thinking you want it to do.
Wow say that fast:)

Oh I have no problem making it do what I am thinking it will do. The Q is how will it effect the water/ and flow in the reaction chamber as opposed to just dumping the water in from a 1/2 pcv pipe??

One of the concepts of skimming is to try and get as many raw water moles being hit by as many clean air bubbles in order to mechanically cleave the protein/doc from it. So if you look at the standard ways, they either dump in on top or get mixed in a venturi (needle wheel) at the same point. So if your skimmer is counter current then it would make sense to spread the water entry over as much of the bubble plume as you could right? I dont think their would be any issue with screwing up or causing havoc with the foam as long as the water enters at the top of the mixing chamber. the only thing you have to remember is that holes clog so dont make them to small or it will become a maintenance issue.

Mike

Back